GO!

all white, pink nose, blue eyes...help!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Tiny

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 6:26am PST 
Hi all,

I am new to the forum, this is my first post.

I have been looking through quite a few pages on albino dogs and their typical traits. I have an amstaff at the moment and his name is Tiny and I wanted to get him a girlfriend. She is about 5 weeks old and has a pink nose and is all white, apparently no spots on her at all and has blue eyes.

I am seeing and hearing confliting information on a few things, For instance that all amstaffs are born with blue eyes. And that albino dogs can not have blue eyes, and some sites saying they are blue because of the lack of pigmentation. It goes on to mention that most likely an albino will be deaf and possibly blind or vision impared as well.

I am confused and unsure of what to do. This dog is not in my state and I can't get there to see her. I just want to be sure that the puppy is not deaf and blind. I understand there there will be special needs to protect against the sun and all, but I would like to know what are the actual facts when it comes to white, pink nose and blue eyes.

http://www.houseofspeed.com.au/mini1.jpg
----------------- ------------------------
http://www.houseofspeed.com.au/mini2.jpg

Con

Edited by author Sun Mar 13, '11 6:31am PST

[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 11:31am PST 
Will you be breeding this pair? Because Albinoism is genetic you may reconsider this to avoid passing on undesired genes.

The blue eyes cannot be definitely "colored" at this time. A lot of dogs are born with baby blue eyes that pigment later in life (8-10 weeks usually but I admit pediatrics/breeding is not my forte).

There is some suggestion that the white color in AmStaffs, boxers and some other breeds holds a genetic link to deafness but it is not a 100% definitive YES/NO answer. This pup may or may not be deaf.

The pink nose is another thing that may not be absolute. Some pups are born with pink noses that darken over time (like up until 8-10 weeks).

The moral of the story is that at 5 weeks of age you may not 100% now that these traits will remain the same.

She is about 5 weeks old and has a pink nose and is all white, apparently no spots on her at all and has blue eyes.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 11:32am PST 
True albinos have pink eyes, period. However, white dogs with the genetic problems you're concerned about have blue eyes. I.E. boxers, australian shepherds, catahoulas, american bulldogs. I haven't heard much about am. staffs having these health concerns, but personally I'd pass. The all white english bullies tend to have more health issues as well. If nothing else, she would sunburn VERY easily and you'd have to have her wear little shirts or apply sunscreen regularly.

I work with an albino alligator at our aquarium, so I am very familiar with the genes going on there. I have never seen a "true" albino dog, pink eyes, totally white, no pigmentation whatsoever. Albinos also lack pigment even at birth, so if she has blue eyes now she is not an albino.

Sounds like some of those sites you found are feeding people a lot of phooey.

Edited by author Sun Mar 13, '11 11:35am PST

[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 6:58pm PST 
Tankuk, I have a human friend who is albino and she does have blue eyesthinking She is legally blind. OP, Dogster Angel has pink nose and blue eyes. I don't think he is all white. He is partially blind and partially deaf.

Edited by author Sun Mar 13, '11 7:01pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 7:47pm PST 
Her eyes might yet change color, as she is so young. Can you take her to the vet and get her checked for deafness/blindness before you get her? Deafness isn't really too big a problem, I've seen so many deaf dogs who adapt perfectly and lead good lives. Deafness and blindness together may be harder for the dog to deal with though. I'd get her thoroughly checked. If you get her I'd be worried about sun exposure too, white dogs with pink noses are so susceptible to that, so be prepared to be applying plenty of sunscreen!
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 8:33pm PST 
Since the puppy is so young, I wouldn't worry ATM. She'll probably develop other colors when she's a little older. Right now, 5 weeks is too little to tell.
[notify]
Morgana

THROW THE BALL- THROW THE BALL

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 8:45pm PST 
I believe that terriers develop ticking as they age... Charlie for instance was WHITE when I brought her home, she was 9 weeks old. She now has black or brown ticking EVERYWHERE. She does have a black nose though.

Are you getting the pup from a breeder? If so is there albinoism on either side of the family? Have you seen pictures of Mom and Dad? Or other littermates. That would help alot. I honestly doubt she will be blind or deaf, untill she is an old dog. BUT I would NOT breed her unless I knew if albinoism is in her genetics.

She is adorable
[notify]
Tiny

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 2:22am PST 
You guys are very helpful and I appreciate it. I just don't have anyone at home during the day and not sure it's responsible of me to leave the poor little white puppy alone without sunscreen all day.
Having said that I will try and have a vet confirm. Key word is try.

smile
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 3:59am PST 
dont know about the am staf breed, but the breeds I do know about, shelties, collies, borders, there is a 95% chance these pups will have a short life full of health problems
[notify]
Diesel

Did someone say- Dinner!?!?!?!?!

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 8:44am PST 
She looks like the typical all white bully breed pup to me. Like the others have said i wouldn't worry until she gets older. Most bully breeds have pink noses then they turn black as they get older. Even Diesel's was pink.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3