GO!

recovery time after spaying?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Cyrus and- Maya

Trouble and- Wiggles, Esq.

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 12:06pm PST 
Well, Maya's just about 6 months old now (time flies...), and she's off to get spayed on Tuesday.

We're signed up to start beginner agility classes on next Saturday, only 3 days after Maya's spay, so I'm pretty sure we'll just be sitting and watching that first class.

What was the recovery time after a spay like for you pups? Can I expect to be participating in an agility class after a week or two? Cyrus' neuter was pretty quick and easy, but my understanding is that spays are far more invasive as surgeries go.
[notify]
LEAH

Do you have- something for me- to chew?

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 12:40pm PST 
I just got my German shepherd spayed and tuesday as well and I was told it will take about 14 days to recover from it.
[notify]
LEAH

Do you have- something for me- to chew?

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 12:42pm PST 
Does your dog have anything coming out of the stiches? Mine has a clear and redish fluid kind of ozzing from the area and has a smell to it im hopeing it will clear up.. frown
[notify]

Zoey, Shellie & Griffin

Natural & Loving- it!

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 6:10pm PST 
Most puppies recover within a few days, however they shouldn't be 'agility' active until after the stitches come out so you might want to either postpone the spay or postpone the agility class. Shellie was spayed when she was 13 months old (was waiting for her to be physically mature) and she was bouncing around in 2-3 days, it was hard to keep her calm.

Leah, it is not normal for a discharge to be coming from the incision. I would call your Vet.
[notify]
♥ The- Doogers- ♥

Babe, Molly and- Houndy

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 9:23pm PST 
We have an Australian Shepherd/Heeler/Border Collie mix at the rescue I volunteer with. She got spayed yesterday (Friday) and came to the adoption event at Petsmart today (Saturday). She was happy and energetic...just her normal self.

Molly and Babe were also 6 months old. It took 2 days before they were back to their old selves.

I think everydog is different.

I do think that you should wait until her stitches come out before you do agility with her, though. smile
[notify]
Sierra

Super Collie!

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 10:36pm PST 
we've spayed all our girls around 1 yr old and they all bounced back wonderfully. sierra was done last month and we kept her calm for about 1 week and then finally let her have off leash time, I took her he stitches out about 12 days after and she was almost completely healed up
[notify]
Cyrus and- Maya

Trouble and- Wiggles, Esq.

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 10:58pm PST 
K, thanks guys - Leah, Maya hasn't been spayed yet, it's this upcoming Tuesday, but I agree that discharge isn't normal.

The agility class is a beginner, puppy version of the class - I doubt there'll be much jumping, but I can't postpone it as it's a group class. I'll just sit out, or only participate in the low-key portions of the class until Maya's stitches are out.

Thanks for the info - I'm just not sure what to expect!
[notify]