GO!

Heart Murmur and Seizures?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Romeo

Barked: Fri Mar 4, '11 12:14am PST 
Romeo has had a heart murmur since the vet noticed it at his 9 week visit. He just turned 1 year old on March 2nd and got neutered last week. The vet checked the murmur before the surgery and it was still there. He continued to do the neutering and afterwards notified me that the murmur was bad and "significant". I was told to watch for trouble breathing and a blue tongue or gums. A few days ago he was running around with my cat and it seemed as if he was gasping for air. I notified the vet and he said he may have to go to a cardiologist.
I had him with me for almost the entire day today and as I was sitting on my bed a few hours ago he jumped on my lap and layed down. A few minutes later I noticed something warm (urine on my lap) and realized he was having a seizure. His eyes were fixated, but he wasn't shaking too violently.
I'm not sure what to think right now, but has anyone else had a dog with a severe heart murmur?
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Fri Mar 4, '11 4:03am PST 
hug
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Fri Mar 4, '11 5:32am PST 
This may have been a syncopal episode not a seizure. My advice to you is to get to a specialty hospital or cardiologist ASAP for a workup including an ultrasound of the heart and potential heart medications. The sooner you start therapy the less damage done to the heart and the longer the prognosis.
[notify]

Romeo

Barked: Fri Mar 4, '11 1:52pm PST 
Now that you've mentioned that, I googled it and that is more of what it seemed to be instead of a seizure. Now I just have to find a good cardiologist in the area. thinking
[notify]
Ty

Barked: Fri Mar 4, '11 3:18pm PST 
I had a dog that had the highest grade of heart murmur. When i had him checked the cardio person told me it was the worst they ever heard. They said he would not live to be 18 months and he lived to almost 7. I have had two other dogs with them also, but with all of them, we did not have seizures. But if you want to ask more questions about the murmur, feel free to contact me on pawmail. I do wish you the best, I know how hard this can be.
[notify]
Hazel Louise

Therapy Dog- Greatness!

Barked: Fri Mar 4, '11 6:05pm PST 
I have 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Only one has a heart murmur. It's a grade 1/2, and she is 3.5 years old. It was diagnosed when she was much younger. She has not had any seizures to date and is not on any medicine (just supplements I use for heart issues). I don't know much about them myself, as yet. She was diagnosed by a cardiologist, but I haven't taken her to one myself. My vet checks and listens to it every time she goes in. I wish you much luck with your sweet puppy.hug
[notify]
Macy

Macy Moo!!

Barked: Thu Mar 10, '11 11:29pm PST 
My sweet rescue dog, Macy was born with severe birth defects to her heart. She lived at the Humane Society for about 2.5 yrs because nobody would adopt her because of it. frown I adopted her in August following my own heart surgery (I had a huge soft spot for her because I have heart issues too; I definitely know what it's like to experience some of those symptoms she suffers from. )Macy is around 3-4 yrs old now and our vet has commented that the only dog he has seen survive the first week of life with that amount of heart issues was a 16 yr old Standard Poodle; so, a bit of encouragement there! With very careful monitoring, proper medications, and love, cardiac dogs can life full, happy lives. While I do not allow Macy to train in some of the activities that her Aussie brother, Ranger does (agility, therapy training,etc) she still attends her Advanced Obedience classes and we go for several short, easy walks a day to keep her in shape. I learned early on how to read her body language as far as distress goes, so we know when to calm her down and let her rest. I also make sure that she stays on a healthy diet as it can often be difficult for cardic dogs to maintain healthy body weights since they are constantly burning off calories.

Macy has cardiomegaly, pulmonary edema, a grade 5/6 heart murmur, and multiple other issues going on. You can visibly see her heart murmur if you look at her chest when she breathes in and out. I worked previously as an ACO/vet tech for a while, so I'm able to manage her condition fairly well and keep a close eye on her; we also have an amazing veterinarian office nearby that will see us at a moments notice if need be (the staff there is very knowledgeable on cardio issues). If you would like to private message me, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have! Certain medications can make life for your pup SOOO much more manageable for you and your pup! smile
[notify]
Romeo

Barked: Fri Mar 11, '11 11:11pm PST 
I can't seem to find any cardiologists in the area. The doctor that did my other dog's surgery for hia cancer is supposed to be opening her own clinic with a cardiologist but not until May.
I'm nervous right now cause he won't stop urinating...which he did during the episode he had last week. My vet said I shouldn't go to a cardiologist unless he turns blue. He hasn't that I've noticed. I'm so confused.frown
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Fri Mar 11, '11 11:39pm PST 
Romeo - As the owner of the dog you can do whatever you want, whenever you want. In my opinion a cardiologist is warranted WAY before the dog turns blue??!!! but honestly do what your gut tells you.

To find a local board certified cardiologist check out the ACVIM (American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine) site and look under their specialties search.
Here is a link to all of the cardiologists listed in PA - PA Cardiologists
[notify]
Hazel Louise

Therapy Dog- Greatness!

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 7:21am PST 
I suppose you are in PA. I don't know about that state, but Hazel was seen by the cardiologist at Ohio State University Veterinarian School. This is where her breeder takes all her Cavaliers for examination and testing. Currently, Hazel is doing fine with just seeing my vet, but I will take her there if it is warranted.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2