GO!

Increase in dry heaving?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 5:23pm PST 
For the past few days, I've notice Sanka's been dry heaving a lot. Or at least that's what it looks like to me.

It's just like what this dog does at the end of the video. But Sanka's aren't that high pitched lol.

Sometimes his are prolonged. It just seems more like he's trying to get something out of his throat. It's not a cough. I've tried opening his mouth and looking, but when I open his mouth, his tongue covers up his throat, so I can't see anything.

He's eating and drinking fine. He's his normal self.
shrug

Just curious to know if this may be a major symptom of something I'm not aware of.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 5:51pm PST 
What time of day does it happen usually? What time is he fed? Is there any relation between these two?

Is Sanka on any meds? If so what, why, when and how much?

Right now I would rule out

1) Inhalant/Enviromental Allergy - something is tickling the throat and making that hacking noise. I would not consider what that dog did on the video to be real "dry heaving" but just hacking.

This is more what I consider to be "dry heaving" - where there whole abdomen is into it and they are straining but unlike this video nothing comes up (even bile) at all.

Lucy Vomiting

2) This type of "dry heaving" can precipitate GDV unlikely since it happens multiple times you report. Can be due to acid buildup in stomach causing naseau. Leah, ever since her 'pexy, has severe episodes of dry heaving that sound like she has a GDV. Enough so that she has tricked some techs at work into thinking she is really sick. It lasts about 15-20 seconds and then she just walks away

Edited by author Sun Feb 27, '11 5:53pm PST

[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 7:40pm PST 
Yes, hacking is a more appropriate way to describe it. Thank you, I was struggling trying to find something to accurately describe it.

It happens randomly throughout the day. No relation to eating. I maybe could link it to excitement or maybe like an increase in breathing as I wouldn't really call what Sanka does "excitement" lol. Like, when I first go outside with them in the morning, he'll do it...when he starts into a little bit of a trot around the yard, he'll do it...or when we go on walks, he'll do it. Once it starts, he'll continue to hack for a bit...hacking...walking a bit, then another few hacks. It'll subside for a few hours until it pops up again.

The only thing I've noticed is that he's really taken to eating snow as of lately. Like, on walks, instead of drinking when we get home, he'd literally stop dead in his tracks while we're walking and start eating snow. He's always loved snow, so I didn't think much of it.shrug

Sanka is not on any medications.
[notify]

Murphy

Smurph Man

Barked: Mon Feb 28, '11 9:15am PST 
Murphy does this exact thing randomly as well. I've noticed it happens more towards the morning hours but it has happened at night. He acts perfectly normal, at first I thought it was a reverse sneeze but this sound is a lot different. Would love to know what it is!
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Mon Feb 28, '11 9:43am PST 
I found at least 3 piles where Sanka had thrown up this morning. The stuff he threw up was white in color and I guess I'd say "bubbly". Like you could see little air bubbles in them. I did not see him throw up, so I don't know when exactly he did it.

I tried to video tape him doing the hacking, but I couldn't really get it on tape. Sanka did seem a bit under the weather today.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

Barked: Mon Feb 28, '11 10:35am PST 
I think he has Kennel Cough - or some type of ITB --> ITB info

It has a 3-10 day incubation period from contact with infectious dog or infectious items like water bowl or aeresoled items (think like vet visit, dog park/play area, you at shelter with contact with dogs, sick dog walking by or nose-nose with your dogs etc). It should clear on own without any meds but if it worsens seek medical attention.

I NEVER reccomend cough suppresants in these animals because they prevent the clearing of mucous from the chest which leads to severe complications like pneumonia etc
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Mon Feb 28, '11 11:08am PST 
Yeah, I did notice Sanka actually had a little coughing spell a little bit ago. It does seem like a mild kennel cough. Thanks for the info.

Should I be worried about my other dog, Kato? I know it's contagious, but is it something to really be alarmed about this early?
[notify]
Leah, CGC

Barked: Mon Feb 28, '11 6:36pm PST 
Sanka - Honestly you gave it away with the white foam - this is classic sign (along with the hacking) of ITB - and many people present to ER thinking their pet has something cuaght in their throat but its really ITB.

Also at this point because they live together the other dog is already exposed enough to contract ITB if it is infectious at this point. Generally once they get the strain and get better they can't reinfect at least for a little bit because of some minor immunity post. This prevents dogs who live together for passing it back and forth. It can take 6-8 weeks to fully heal but they usually stop coughing in like 2 weeks.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Tue Mar 1, '11 9:13am PST 
Thanks for the info Leah.

Just want to make sure that this can be what it looks like. I got it on video. Kennel cough videos always show a dog coughing, but I haven't seen Sanka actually cough other than that one little time.

Can it look like this?

video
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 9:58pm PST 
Poor thing! I just want to add in something. (Don't be alarmed) I was recently caring for an elderly Yorkie whose owner passed away. He started to hack and dry heave a lot, so I took him to his vet. The blood work showed very high kidney levels. He said this can make them nauseous and want to constantly gag. He had many other problems and all of these things compiled took the life out of him and he had to be put to sleep. little angel Just something to think about if this doesn't go away. I watched the video and Teddi would do something similar to that and cough up white foam. I'm sure its nothing serious but when I saw that video I wanted to make sure I said something just to be cautious. hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2