GO!

Can dogs have "hairballs"?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Misty *RIP- Mommy's- Angel*

Is that food for- me???

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 4:31am PST 
Misty has started blowing her coat already this Spring. Around the same time she started blowing she started doing this weird gagging? hacking? it sounds like she is trying to cough something up, it is kind of the same noise I remember my cats making when they coughed up a hairball. Twice she has spit up a little yellow bile after doing it, and this morning she threw up her breakfast (which worried me a little). I thought since the vet isn't open today I'd ask around and see if anyone else with a heavy shedding dog has ever had this same problem. My BF insists that he remembers her doing exactly the same thing last year when she blew her coat, but I must have blocked it out or something, 'cause I don't remember. Can they get "hairballs"?
[notify]
Paris

Paris the blind- wonderdog!

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 4:39am PST 
I suppose they could get hairballs, but I sure would check with the vet just to be sure. If she does it again can you see if there is any hair in it?
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 5:20am PST 
That sound , like they are gagging on hairball , is often a sign of kennel cough. Bunny had it last fall. It is generally more concerning with puppies, senior dogs and dogs with health issues. I would check with the vet as soon as you can.
[notify]

Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 5:23am PST 
Hmm, no, dogs do not groom themselves to the level that cats do, and I really doubt she'd ingest enough to develop a hairball. Unless of course you never vacuum your house and literally have tumbleweeds! shock Just kidding! wink

However, Tanuk has severe acid reflux and esophagus problems because of it. He hacks pretty regularly like he has something stuck in his throat, and vomits bile pretty regularly too. I hope this is not your dog's problem. Definitely worth a vet check if it continues. If it exclusively happens in the morning, trying giving a before bed snack and see if that helps.
[notify]

Is that food for- me???

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 5:32am PST 
Bunny, I definitely will call the vet as soon as they open in the morning. Kennel cough=Bordetella right? She is definitely UTD on all vaccinations for that as my groomer requires it. Any possibility that it could be a vaccine reaction? She just her yearly round 3 weeks ago (Distemper/Bordetella/Lyme) and had a Lyme booster this past Friday.
[notify]

Is that food for- me???

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 5:41am PST 
I'm sorry, I left out Lepto, she also had a Leptospirosis shot, since we live in kind of a wooded, wetland (well, wet when it's not frozen)area with lots of raccoons and skunks. She also had a full vet check with blood and fecal tests, which turned up no problems.
[notify]

Is that food for- me???

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 5:45am PST 
Tanuk, laugh out loud to the "tumbleweeds". We certainly do have a few, but I don't think they are what's causing the trouble here. I just thought maybe because she tends to lick the snow and water off her fur that she might be swallowing a bit of her own "fluff" and gagging on it (I know sometimes when I brush her I suck some of it up my nose and it's not fun). Sounds like I'm probably wrong, so it looks like we are at least calling the vet tomorrow.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 5:58am PST 
Yes it kennel cough is Bordetella, but there are so many strains that they can still get it even if they are not vaccinated for it, which is why I do not do that particular vaccine for my dogs. When they are older or develop health issues,then I will reconsider smile I should mention Bunny had a very mild case and Princesse ( my Chi) did not get it.
[notify]

Is that food for- me???

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 6:07am PST 
Thanks Bunny, I didn't realize there were different strains (I guess I still have some learning to do red face ) I will definitely mention it to the vet!
[notify]
Dolly

I'm spoiled but- not rotten!

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 7:48am PST 
I have knowh dogs that have had to have a hairball surgically removed, so yes, the answer is dogs can have hairballs. Although they usually don't kack them up like cats do.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2