GO!

Grinding her teeth???

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Montana

Mexican- Mutt-a-roonie

Barked: Sat Feb 19, '11 12:42am PST 
Montana is a very animated sleeper. She twitches, snorts, snores like my grandpa, growls, snarls, woofs, sticks her tongue out, wags her tail, rolls on her back sticks her paws in the air.... She does more in her slumber than she does while awake.

Lately I've been noticing a strange noise that sounds like she's grinding her teeth. She has bad teeth to begin with from being malnourished most of her life, her front teeth are all worn down from who knows what.

My boyfriend grinds his teeth god forbid he spits out the mouthguard in his sleep (most annoying sound to wake up to ever). Could she be imitating him?
I've never heard of teeth grinding in a dog... Is it possible?

ETA I know canines can't move their jaw from side to side like we can, but I just can't figure it out. shrug

Edited by author Sat Feb 19, '11 12:49am PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sat Feb 19, '11 7:06pm PST 
My dog has developed a bit of an obsessive butt snuffling problem and I have noticed lately he is grinding his teeth too. I think maybe both are related. I have located his snuffing problem as fleas (at last!) so I'm hoping maybe it will stop when I treat the other problem. Is he only doing is when he is sleeping though? He probably doesn't even realize he is doing it if he is sleeping. If he is doing it when awake it might be from obsessive behavior, like, he enjoys doing it as a stress reliever or something, or even nerves like in people . . . I don't know if he is emulating your man though, I've never heard of something like that, but of course it could be possible I suppose. I would probably take him to the vets and ask, it does sound very unusual. If Jack doesn't stop with the grinding himself after he is de-fleaed I think I will be doing the same too, it's not normal at all.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sun Feb 20, '11 8:15am PST 
Brodie lays beside me on the couch and his head is always on my leg or foot or right against me and it feels just like he's grinding his teeth or trying to move his jaw a lot of the time.
I even took him to the vet for a place in his mouth that we are pretty sure is scar tissue from chewing his jaw area...maybe from that or maybe from chewing on toys or eating. Not sure what came first, the place in the mouth or the weird way he seems to grind his teeth. Not sure exactly what he's doing but that's what it feels like.
[notify]

Akasha

We are trying to- sleep here!

Barked: Mon Feb 21, '11 1:20pm PST 
Akasha is on Amitriptyline because she grinds her teeth. Dobermans tend to have obsessive behavior and anxiety and it really helps. She clearly has done it for years as she already has a lot of occlusal trauma in her teeth(she is also a rescue). She does it when she is calming down for the night though. She will just sit there and grind if she is not on the meds. Not sure if it will help since it sounds like your dog does it at night but I would take her to the vet. Just like our teeth, your vet can tell when a dog is grinding and maybe the vet will have another option for you.
[notify]
Montana

Mexican- Mutt-a-roonie

Barked: Mon Feb 21, '11 6:53pm PST 
Good to know I'm not the only one with a teeth grinder! It just seems so unusual...
Will definitely talk to the vet about it. Thanks all!
[notify]
♠- Mickey- ♠

One by one The- squirrels steal- my sanity

Barked: Tue Feb 22, '11 9:18pm PST 
Mickey grinds his teeth as he is settling in for a sleep. He doesn't do it otherwise, but when he is trying to sleep, he is adjusting his teeth and jaw so they fit.

Maybe I'll get him a night guard to sleep with? Or a retainer?big laugh