GO!

Homemade Eye Wash for Dogs

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Gerard

Special Needs- Dog

Barked: Wed Feb 9, '11 12:14am PST 
Is there any homemade eyewash recipes? Gerard has been getting red and watery eyes from the wind and snow. When he comes in his eyes are weeping and I feel so sorry for him. I've been giving him Cran-Max, which is a cranberry extract, to help lubricate his eyes. He usually has dry eyes and this has been helping. I don't know if I should stop giving it or what, but I think he might be a lot better if I could rinse his eyes out. I don't know what would be appropriate to use though.
[notify]
Barney

Design jewelry,- not dogs!

Barked: Wed Feb 9, '11 5:04am PST 
Both my Chinese Cresteds have KCS, which is a failure to produce tears. In addition to a prescription medicine from the vet we use OTC drops for humane dry eye such as those by Bausch & Lomb on a daily basis. HOWEVER... I would certainly have him examined by a vet first as eye problems can be very serious... Barney lost his eye due to this dry eye problem. It IS possible that your guy does need this prescription OR that he has some sort of an eye infection which would need an antibiotic ointment to cure, and until he has been examined and properly diagnosed, it is safer to use nothing.
Once they have been examined by your vet, ask them about these OTC drops.
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Wed Feb 9, '11 7:02am PST 
I would use sterlie saline to rinse. It's at pretty much any drug store and is quite inexpensive, I keep some in my first aid kits specifically for the purpose of rinsing eyes out.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Feb 9, '11 7:42am PST 
I used sterile eye wash when Max got dust in his eyes and it worked great. His eye was better right away. I wouldn't mess around with stuff that isn't sterile around eyes.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Feb 9, '11 7:45am PST 
In the past when a dog (or myself) had red or irritated eyes, I have put a tiny smear of vaseline near the lid. It sort of seeps into the eye and soothes. I do it at night because it can blur the vision a little, but in the morning my eyes were all better and it seems to help the pups too.
[notify]
Barney

Design jewelry,- not dogs!

Barked: Wed Feb 9, '11 9:51am PST 
Savannah, the night time ointment for the KCS is paralube which is only mineral oil and petrolium jelly. I buy Bausch & Lomb "Soothe" for $4.00/tube compared to the vet's $9/tube. I have used that on myself for red, irritated eyes from grooming, etc., and it works GREAT!!
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Feb 9, '11 1:12pm PST 
Well! That is good to know. I think I will get one of those B&L things, since the little squeeze tube appeals more that a great big jar of P. Jelly!
[notify]