GO!

split pad?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Ringo

nap time is all- the time!

Barked: Sun Jan 23, '11 3:54pm PST 
Lately we noticed Ringo licking his paw every once in awhile and we looked at it and never saw anything that would cause it so we just ignored it.

Then we went on a long walk yesterday and about 1/2 way through the walk Ringo starts stopping quite often and actually laying down to lick his paw, before he use to just stop and lift his paw to lick while standing quick and then keep walking. He would stop and lay down almost every block and I would have to almost push him up to get him going again.

So when we got home I looked at his paw and saw that on the side of the large pad it was kind of 'split'. It's not on the top of his large pad but on the side going down.

I had heard using udder cream would help dry/cracked pads so I bought some of that yesterday and have applied it probably 3 times today.

My question is, will this actually help heal the split? I say split and not crack because to me it looks worse than just a crack....but I also have never seen a crack in a dog's pad either thinking

Also, how long will this take to heal? I clearly won't take him on any long walks or anything while it is like this, I'm sure the cold and snow and salt/sand on the roads just make it worse.

Thanks!
[notify]
Sedona

It\'s Tough- Being A Spoiled- Puppy!

Barked: Sun Jan 23, '11 4:31pm PST 
Lotions, oils, balms, etc will NOT "heal" the pad, and may even make the issue worse by softening the pad up too much. JMO. IF the split looks deep (injury), I'd take your dog to the vet (and still do the zinc I mention below). If the split is superficial, then I'd just get started on the zinc.

I'd try some "ZINC gluconate" (NOT "zinc sulfate") supplementation. Zinc helps toughen up the pads, as well as helps with overall immune health (in case the pads have a fungal/yeast issue going on, etc). Google the zinc gluconate doseage that is appropriate for your dog's weight. Here is one site:

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/article/articleDetail. jsp?id=162405&sk=&date=&pageID=2

1.5 mg/kg of body wt (a kg is rougly 2 lbs). My dog is 14.5 lbs, so I gave her about 10 mg of zinc gluconate when she had some paw issues (dry at first, thinning leather of pads, black was fading. Then I began using "balms" and they became OVERLY soft THIN pads). Some dogs with zinc deficiency get very thick "crusted and cracked" pads. Either way, I think zinc might help.

FYI:
Phytates found in grains and veggies (plant type foods) can bind zinc, so if you feed lots of "doggie treats/cookies", I'd stop. Calcium also binds zinc, so do NOT give with yogrut, cheese, etc. I would give the zinc with a protein (meat of some kind), apart from his regular meals (esp if you feed kibble, ie "grain" based foods). I gave my little dog her zinc "crushed" and with about an ounce or so of meat as a "snack". Less than that amount of food with her zinc, and she'd vomit...so don't give zinc on an empty stomach.

I've seen quite a few dogs with zinc deficiency issues that were misdiagnosed as "allergy issues", or "paw injuries", etc, really do great with extra zinc supplementation. You do NOT want to over supplement zinc, as this can cause a mineral imbalance -- so if you are unsure about the dose to give, ask your vet.

It took about 2 mos for my dog's paws to go back to normal, though we saw results in about ONE WEEK. way to go I continue to add a tiny bit of zinc to her diet still, at a much more reduced amount (about 5 mg a few times a week).

There are some products you can find that contain zinc (I know of a few people who have had great success with them):

1- ZinPro dog biscuits (but do not give this if your dog has any grain allergies). The other ZinPro zinc supplements contain "yeast" and I would avoid that IF your dog has allergies of any kind -- just saying, from experience with a yeast-allergy dog! lol

2- NutraZinc (this is just pure zinc gluconate, in powder form). I know MANY small dog owners who use this.

http://www.howlingdogalaska.com/index.php?page=zincgluco

I was using zinc gluconate I purchased from GNC in tablet form, and then cutting the table and crushing...but the powder NutraZinc product is SO much easier! I just ordered some recently.

Again, please discuss the zinc supplementation with your vet, but I have personally seen many dogs really do great with their paws, their immune system, their coat, their SKIN, etc when given a bit of zinc supplementation.

Here's more info on cracked foot pads and zinc:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/grooming/nailconditions2.h tm

Good luck!
[notify]
UKC Ch- Endless- Waltz de- Nanrox

<(-How do you- Dew?-)>

Barked: Sun Jan 23, '11 5:50pm PST 
Just something else to add, what about covering the foot? Will he wear a boot or baby sock? It will heal faster if it is covered on your walks and help prevent some future issues. My girl has foot problems right now, between the -temp cold weather and dry air it does her no good. I've been putting bag balm on her feet before we go out in the morning because I can't get boots that seem to stay on my dogs feet, although I saw a mushers healing wax at one of our vets and want to give that a try next time the Dachsie gets his nails done, I've read that the wax protects the feet better, something worth looking up (Paw wax, or Mushers wax).
[notify]

Ringo

nap time is all- the time!

Barked: Mon Jan 24, '11 2:17pm PST 
good thing I posted this to check because I never would have thought of using zinc! laugh out loud

Makes sense about making the pad softer using the cream though, I will have to get some zinc then and hopefully that will help him.

I don't know if he would wear booties or anything, never tried but I may have to put a sock on him and see how he likes it thinking

Thank you both for the input!
[notify]