GO!

low CPK in bloodwork

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Tue Dec 21, '10 3:59pm PST 
I picked up Allee's blood work and everything looks great. The only thing I noticed was the CPK says low. It says hers is 58 and normal is 59-895. What does this mean? Is it a cause for concern? The vet didn't mention it at all.

Her thyroid and all the other results were just about perfect other than the small amounts of struvite and phosphate crystals seen in the urine. The notes just say have dog drink more water.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 8:09am PST 
CPK is a measurement of Creatinine Phosphokinase.

In humans high CPK is indicative of heart attack. They will look for this as soon as people present for heart attack like symptoms.

It measures muscle activity basically. In some overly muscular dogs we will see slightly high CPKs as a normal for them.

However in cases where pets have lost muscle mass or have been on a medication (think steriods most likely although some antibiotics will do it too) that negatively effects muscle mass you may see a decreased CPK.

For the most part a decreased CPK with no other abnormalities is generally nothing to be concerned about.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 8:15am PST 
CPK is only indicative of a heart attack when it's got a sudden raise, not low.
Low can indicate liver problems (went thru this with Adam). I would run some liver tests. P.S. It could just be nothing tho. Esp if everything else is fine even an error with the test is possible. In Adam's case he had other blood abnormalities that pointed to the liver too.

Edited by author Wed Dec 22, '10 8:17am PST

[notify]

Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 2:35pm PST 
Thanks!
So it was probably just a result of all the meds she had taken.
[notify]