GO!

How Long can a dog go overnight without going to the bathroom?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
private

Barked: Sun Dec 12, '10 3:56pm PST 
Ok so I'm living at my relatives house until we can find a place to move and they are having a dispute about how long I leave my dog inside overnight without going to the bathroom. So the question is, how long is acceptable to leave your dog inside without going to the bathroom OVER NIGHT? Please dont compare a dog to a human since they are completely different.

Thanks!!
[notify]
❤ Sadie- ❤

Miss Sadie the- Trouble Maker

Barked: Sun Dec 12, '10 3:59pm PST 
my two can go the whole night without having to go when they are crated and they aren't even a year old yet
[notify]
C.J.- (C-ATCH,TDI,- CGC,RE,ChSN)

Happy to be a- Rottie with a- tail!

Barked: Sun Dec 12, '10 4:03pm PST 
I'd say every dog is different, and the age, health, and meal-time of the dog would definitely factor in there...

...but C.J. goes for his last walk at about 8:30 or 9:00pm and is perfectly fine until we get up at about 8:00am. Never had an accident and isn't even really "anxious" to get out in the morning.
[notify]

Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Sun Dec 12, '10 4:10pm PST 
When we brought Harlow home at 9 weeks, she would go to bed with me at about 10:30 and sleep until 6 or so in the morning. She never had accidents at all. My shepherd has actually gone almost 24 hours without going out because she refuses to go outside in the rain. (not that I would suggest making your dog do this)
[notify]
Oscar

Canis Angelicus

Barked: Sun Dec 12, '10 4:11pm PST 
My puppy is five months old and can go overnight in his crate. Last pee is around 10 pm and I usually get up at around 6 am and wake him. He is in no rush to get out to pee.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sun Dec 12, '10 4:14pm PST 
Bruno normally goes about 8-9 hours- I have never taken him out to potty in the night unless he's sick. He gets his last walk at midnight, and his first foray outside at around 9 AM (I work late, so I sleep late too.) He's gone as long as 12 hours before without complaining, and has NEVER had a true "accident" in the house. (He marked in the house when I first got him, but it wasn't an urgency issue, it was male dog-with-no-training issue.)
[notify]
Lincoln

I have no off- switch

Barked: Sun Dec 12, '10 4:17pm PST 
Lincoln gets let out 11pm for the last time and doesnt get let out until 11am-1pm the next day.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Sun Dec 12, '10 4:30pm PST 
Well because I went thru it with my Rainbow Bridge dog's acute Kidney disease (from the pet food recall of 2007) I'm real strict about the bathroom. I don't like letting my dogs hold it for more than 6-8 hours. It's rare I go beyond 8. I'm an early riser so this works for us. However I would say for a short period or every once in a while a dog would be absolutely fine holding it much longer unless maybe if they're small breed or in ill health. Dogs in a way are like humans. They get used to going to the bathroom at certain times just like we do. And at that time they feel the need to go more. So drastically changing a dog's bathroom schedule may not work unless you gradually increase the intervals. HTH. (ETA: Like Lincoln's dog is used to a long overnight time. If I was to suddenly make my dogs wait that long, they would feel uncomfortable and might even get UTIs but if I gradually increased the time maybe they could do it fine)

Edited by author Sun Dec 12, '10 4:35pm PST

[notify]
Ch. Ali, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Sun Dec 12, '10 4:55pm PST 
My toy poodles all go from last outs around 8:30 or 9 until 7 am. Just because a dog is small doesn't mean it can't hold it as long. Remember, their small body is producing way less urine and/or stool as well. My little guys actually hold it for way longer periods than my big labs ever could.
[notify]
private

Barked: Sun Dec 12, '10 5:10pm PST 
Thanks for all the responses! Based on all the posts I'm assuming that 12-12 1/2 hours overnight is not going to harm my dog correct? considering he doesn't run out and go to the bathroom immediately when I let him out.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4