GO!

What does "barrel chested" mean?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 7:19pm PST 
I can't seem to find a clear, definitive description of "barrel-chested." Could somebody fill me in, or look at Hazel's photos and tell me if she is barrel-chested? I never really gave much thought to bloat because she is not a big dog (only 40 lbs.), but maybe I should.
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 7:59pm PST 
A barrel chest refers to a dog with a large deep chest.
A 'Deep chest', view from the front or rear is more narrow than the view from the side. If measuring the diameter of chest from side to side measures less than top to bottom. One reference has the chest extending to the dog's 'elbows' as a good measure of deep chestedness.
As in these photos:

Greyhound

Great Dane

Hazel's fur comes close to the elbow, but her chest doesn't. And her chest is not much larger than her waist and hips.

The risk factors are higher under the following criteria.
Male
Large or giant breed
family history of bloat
deep chest
thin
fed dry food only
fed one meal a day
elevated food dish
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 8:03pm PST 
Wouldn't "barrel-chested" be just as wide as it is deep? I think it is usually used to indicate something separate from "deep-chested."
[notify]

Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Tue Dec 7, '10 1:28pm PST 
Sampson you are correct - Barrel chested is as wide as it is deep - Like a barrel.

So greyhound IS NOT an example of barrel chested but Mastiff or St Bernard usually is.
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Tue Dec 7, '10 3:08pm PST 
Thanks for clearing it up. smile
[notify]
Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Tue Dec 7, '10 3:30pm PST 
Zoey my chihuahua is Barrel Chested, meaning she has a 'wide' chest....at least that is what a handler who evaluated her as a puppy told me.
[notify]