GO!

Grain Free food (for epilepsy)

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Rocket

Rocket Dog!

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 9:21pm PST 
Since raw didn't work out for Rocket, my bf and I have been researching dog food to see what is best. (I'm actually very proud of the bf...I was a little discouraged that he pulled the plug on raw, but I was very happy to find him number crunching our bills to see if there was any way, shape, or form that we could afford ziwipeak for Rocket. Unfortunately, that's a little out of our price range. frown )

Luckily Rocket's epilepsy is very mild, but we definitely want to keep it that way for the rest of his life! I've read one a few sites that its really important to eliminate grain from a dog's diet that has epilepsy.

Has that worked well for other seizure pups? The food we feed him now has brown rice and oatmeal, I was wondering if that counts as grains too and we should try to find a food thats *completely* grain free. He seems to be doing well on this food, and its been five months since his last seizure, but we're always looking for ways to improve his chances at living a completely healthy life. blue dog

Edited by author Fri Dec 3, '10 9:22pm PST

[notify]
Rocket

Rocket Dog!

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 9:26pm PST 
And heres the link of what we are feeding him, if anyone is interested. (sorry, I don't know how to make the link clicky red face )

http://www.harmonypetproducts.com/products/dogs_dry_chicken.c fm
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 9:30pm PST 
I did the same thing. Taste of the Wild is a good grain & rosemary free food, and the cost isn't that bad. Right now we're on Merrick BG, but will switch off after May.

BTB, one year seizure free. *knocks wood*

Edited by author Fri Dec 3, '10 9:31pm PST

[notify]

Goodman

Be Cool

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 12:43am PST 
Grain free food seemed to leave Goodman terribly hungry, without any noticeable effect on his epilepsy, so I switched him back to a food with grain.

YMMV of course.
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 4:52am PST 
Rocket, how many total seizures have you had?

Bama had one in June 2008 and one in March 2009. The vet did a bunch of tests and checked for trauma to the head, etc and came to the conclusion that he might be epileptic since it is very common in doxies.
Anyway, no seizures since that we know of. However before the first one looking back we have suspected that one may have occured while we were at work, but we can't be sure.
But, I had no idea that they didn't need grains bc of it. I may have read that back in 2008 and forgot. Bama has ate severa grain inclusive foods since. Actually the past couple of weeks he has been eating Artemis bc they sent him 12 samples of it.
Glad you posted this!
And, Goodman that's a good point as well...since eating grain inclusive he does seem to be a bit more full after a meal.
thinking

If you are going to go with grain free, I do like TOTW. It's a great food and very affordable. Allee and Bama do very well on it.
Also, if you can afford it Orijen is one of the very best kibbles. And, Acana is made by the same company and a wonderful food as well. Acana is more affordable than Orijen. However, they do both have rosemary.

Dahlia, how come rosemary is bad for epilepsy? I feel terrible bc Bama got liquid salmon oil for over a yr with rosemary extract...but he hasn't had a seizure since March 2009.

Edited by author Sat Dec 4, '10 4:58am PST

[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 5:20am PST 
rosemary is one of many expected triggers

I switch off any food/treats that contain it no seizures for 2 1/2 years
and his med levels are in the low end of the scale

but they do have rice in the kibble
[notify]
Stella Agnes- CGC/TDI

CGC, Therapy- Dog. My velcro- girl!

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 5:47am PST 
Hi all. I don't have a dog that has seizures, but I know of a site that talks about foods you should avoid and recommended dog foods. It's called www.dogtorj.com. I hope this helps. smile
[notify]
Rocket

Rocket Dog!

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 7:59am PST 
Rocket has had 2 seizures, about six months apart. Thanks for all the advice. smile I don't know why I didn't think of oats as grain, for some reason I thought food that didn't have corn/wheat/soy were considered "grain free." I guess since they are so far apart its hard to tell whether or not switching food would help, the first one he had he was on Kibble's N Bits, the second one he had he was eating what I posted. Unfortunately we haven't been able to identify a trigger. The first time we thought it was advantix we used on him. But the second time it happened he was just laying calmly by my computer, nothing strange happened, no weird weather/food/flashing lights. That's when the vet said, especially since he is the picture of perfect health (minus some creaky hips) otherwise, he probably has epilepsy, esp since his first seizure happened when he was around two.
[notify]
Barney,- friend of- Lennox

Bad to the Bone

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 9:50am PST 
Natural Balance has a grain free product that isn't very expensive...I've seen it on the shelf at my local Petco. There's going to be some more grain free products coming out after the first of the year I think, too.

Many of the "grain free" products use potato instead for the carbohydrate.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 9:55am PST 
We feed the Natural Balance here. Tanuk hasn't had a seizure since he was under a year, thank goodness.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3