GO!

Fatty Lipoma on Belly/Dog Whining When Laying Down

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 12:28am PST 
1. Can a fatty lipoma cause pain?

2. Am I being paranoid in thinking this lump should be fine needle aspirated?

This is on a friend's dog, not Chance.

Yesterday a friend stopped by with her dog.
Her dog is:
* 5 or 6 years old
* Flat-Coat Retriever mutt
* Adopted and spayed at 4 months of age
* Has always been overweight as an adult - one vet thinks she should weigh 70 lbs. and she weighs at least 85 - 90 lbs.

The friend said her dog has recently started making "wincing sounds" when she lays down on her belly. What she means by "wincing sounds" are little whimpers and quiet whines.

Her new vet said it might be arthritis or hip dysplasia. She did a range of motion test and said everything was normal so no arthritis or hip dysplasia.
This dog doesn't have any problems with laying down, getting up, no stiffness, no problem on stairs and when she does get to go run her back legs move normally.

The new vet also said it might be a UTI and told the owner to collect some urine and examine it for blood. If there was no blood, there was no UTI.shrugshock
According to our friend, her dog always has struvite crystals in her urine.

Apparently the dog has developed a lump on her belly in the past couple of weeks.
The new vet said it was a fatty lipoma, has nothing to do with the whining and to just wait and watch.
I asked if the vet did a fine needle aspiration. The friend said no, the vet said the only options were "watch and wait" and "surgical removal".
[notify]
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 12:56am PST 
Well, a vet should be willing to aspirate any lump that seems suspicious- it could be cancerous. Ginger had a bunch of lumps, I got the biggest, hardest one tested, it was negative, that took a weight off my mind. Vet charged only 35 dollars for the FNA.

It could also be benign but just in an uncomfortable place that presses on her when she lays on it. Ginger's big lump was in her armpit, vet said that if it got so large it was impeding movement at all, it would have to be taken out. Perhaps your friend's dog is having a similar issue.
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 1:50am PST 
just a thought, but of Max's three lumps, it was the medium sized one that was a grade 2 MST, the other two were cysts. It's important they check all of them. If your friend's vet is unwilling or unable to aspirate the lump, I'd find another vet who is willing to. The cost for checking Max's (all three combined) was also $35 for me, plus the cost of an office visit. Since Max wound up having the cancerous mass removed, the surgery cost another $350 (that included sending it off to have it graded, which cost $159). I would also think that it's more likely the lump is pushing on something that is causing pain- like the bladder. I would NOT be content with a wait and see if the dog is reacting verbally to pain. Dogs are so stoic that she's in a lot of pain if she's crying out- no matter how softly it is. I'd get a second opinion as quickly as possible.

Edited by author Fri Dec 3, '10 1:51am PST

[notify]

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 9:07am PST 
Sassy needed another tiny yet badly positioned and painful lump removed so the enormous one wrapping around her belly was removed at the same time. I thought it was a tennis ball sized and shaped lump just under her ribcage, nope much larger. After recovery she seemed to move easier. A friend had one removed from her dog and he was far more comfortable after it was gone. If a lump is causing trouble it must go. Individual lumps should all be aspirated and checked.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 9:43am PST 
IMHO any and ALL lumps should be FNA'd (What is an FNA?). One of the most dangerous cancers MCT's (mast cells) can present as any size, any feeling and any look.

If the lump is determined to be a lipoma (What is an Lipoma?) which is benign there is no reason besides the comfort of the dog or cosmetic look of dog to remove it. Lipoma's can be like icebergs; appear small but actually be infultrating into the abdominal cavity or muscle they sit on. This can make removal much more intense and costly/dangerous depending on what is going on.

Are Lipoma's Painful?? They are NOT painful on their own BUT if they are pressing on organs, diaphragm or other they can cause secondary pain to the pet.

Honestly I would say it is more likely that arthritic changes in an overweight dog are causing the moaning and groaning. 10-15lbs is a very very large extra weight to carry for this dog as he gets older and as his arthritic changes get worse. I would say that this person should adress the arthritis at this time with NSAIDs, glucosamines and Omega 3 fatty acids.
[notify]
Zoey, Shellie & Griffin

Natural & Loving- it!

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 10:21am PST 
Just doing ROM etc can't always accurately diagnose Hip Dysplasia or arthritis that usually has to be done with radiographs to see the changes in the bone etc. Although sometimes if it's severe etc, you can feel the grinding etc. We always FNA every tumor, you never know, we removed a cancerous tumor off of a dog who's vet told them it was just a lipoma, it came back as a malignant mast cell. So I would find another vet or demand that current vet FNA's the tumor.
[notify]
Lantis

I love small- dogs..

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 10:38am PST 
Yes.. find a vet to aspirate it like others have suggested...

Lantis had always had lumps and bumps since he was about 5 years old or so, we always had them aspirated twice a year... last year one returned as a hemagiosarcoma...

Scary stuff, but we caught it early and were able to have it removed with clean margins.
[notify]
Lauryn

I Don't Know- What I Am!

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 10:59am PST 
They are more often than not completely benign and cause few problems. There has been some evidence that giving chickweed as a supplement can help reduce the size of lipomas. It is worth a shot. If you find them unsightly and want to reduce them without surgery, here are a few methods to try. Besides the chickweed, you can supplement with thuja occidenalis, but it is also a good idea to get your dog to loose weight. Being overweight can cause lipomas and loosing weight can actually help them shrink or disappear alltogether.

Edited by author Fri Dec 3, '10 11:04am PST

[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 11:33am PST 
Lauryn said"Being overweight can cause lipomas and loosing weight can actually help them shrink or disappear alltogether."

This is actually incorrect. Lipoma's are made up of fat cells BUT are NOT caused by being overweight. Lipoma's are encapsulated masses meaning they are fat cells with a covering keeping them together seperate from the inside of body. Think like a grape (mushy held to gether with tight skin). If your pet loses weight it will NOT affect the fat already encapsulated in the lipoma. In most cases when a pet loses weight the lipoma's appear larger since they do not change. NOTHNG EXCEPT SURGERY can make one disappear.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 2:56pm PST 
Thanks everyone. Hubby and I will press our friend to get the lump FNA'd. If it was Chance, it would've happened as soon as the lump was found.

We don't understand why the friend wouldn't insist on a FNA because she knows what happens when a vet says a lump isn't anything to worry about and it turns out to be cancer. Her last cat died of cancer because she didn't insist on a FNA until it was too late.

I'll also make sure she asks this vet if the lump could be pressing on something and causing the pain.

We've been telling this friend for 2 years now to start her dog on joint supplements and fish oil (and feed the dog less and exercise her more and keep food off the counter and put the bags of cat food where she can't get them) because all that extra weight is hard on the joints.
This vet told her it wasn't joints or arthritis because of the range of motion. I told her that wasn't true because Chance has bilateral hip dysplasia with mild arthritic changes in the left hip and, as soon as we started her on joint supplement, her range of motion checks are always fine with no resistance.

She used to have the same vet as we do and that vet told her last year she suspected the dog had developed some arthritis and to drop the dog's weight to 70 lbs. as a "starting point" to see how much more she may need to lose. I don't know how much weight the dog has gained since then!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2