GO!

Should I spay my fem Beagle after she's had 4 litters?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Ginger

"Live Free or- Bark"

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 9:28am PST 
Hi my name is Kate and I have a 4 yr old fem Beagle named Ginger. She's had 4 litters in her life with our male Beagle Harvey. He was neutered about 6 months ago and we are wondering if we should even spay her considering he's already neutered. Is it necessary or beneficial to spay her?

Edited by author Fri Nov 19, '10 9:28am PST

[notify]
Bo

Mr. Cuddly- wuddly bear..

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 9:30am PST 
Never mind..
[notify]
Kunta

R.I.P. Big guy

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 9:38am PST 
Yes, definitely. Considering you've bred her every year of her life. That is not a good thing. So, to prevent any further bad breeding, spaying would be a good thing.
[notify]

Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 9:45am PST 
Yes, spay her, and in the future fix the other dogs before they have litters.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 10:01am PST 
silenced
[notify]
Pippin-CGC-R- IP Sweet Boy

Gone Far Too- Soon

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 11:23am PST 
Definitely have her spayed to prevent oops litters with stray dogs...You should have had her spayed before she ever produced a litter!frown
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 11:30am PST 
The risk of having a intact older female dog especially one who has already had litters can be great. I would reccomend spay her to prevent a pyometra. A pyometra is an infection in the uterus that causes the pet to become very ill. Once this infection is present anesthesia becomes riskier and the chance your dog could die becomes greater. If left untreated it will result in death. On average a pyometra surgery and after care costs 1000-4000 dollars depending on how far along it is, if the uterus is still intact -- In a pyometra the uterus fills with pus, if it bursts all of this pus is spread around in the abdomen leading to septic conditions which are more dangerous to treat and more likely to result in death -- and how stable the dog is when it presents.

If you choose to spay her now you will be ensuring that you can take the time to get an estimate that is more reasonable (300-800.), plan a date based on convience, do proper testing to ensure she is as healthy as possible before going under anesthesia and set up the perfect conditions for her surgery.

Pyometra kills...spaying a dog is NOT only about protecting it from pregnancy but for protecting its health.
[notify]
Mystique- 'Tiki'

Wooo Awooo!

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 11:30am PST 
4 litters in 4 years?

silenced

Yes, please spay her...
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 11:47am PST 
If your dog came from such a wonderful breeder why did they not tell you she should have been two and health tested before her first breeding?

4 litters in 4 years of life is an awful thing to do to a dog. Please spay her, she's had enough frown
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 11:52am PST 
What's past is past but you should have spayed her before she even had one litter. No dog should ever be bred on their first heat since they aren't even physically mature and can't be accurately genetically health tested, let alone bred every heat after that. Having her spayed now would prevent pyometra and any risks associated with birthing, including the immense stress on her body from being bred every heat.
[notify]
(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6