GO!

Squealing in pain when pooping.....

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bella

I Love to give- kisses and- snuggle!

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 1:51pm PST 
Bella has in the past squealed in pain when she pooped. Today she is really crying in pain. Her butt is red with blood dripping. This is just what I see from just looking. If you try and touch her she growls and wants to bite your hand. Any idea's as to what is going on? Her stools have been formed and today I see soft. She has in the past had dry stools. I am really worried now, she is really crying when she goes.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 1:53pm PST 
Sounds like she needs to go see the vet.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 2:20pm PST 
I called the Vet's office and they are closed.

Bella had her hair cut about maybe 2 weeks ago now, or almost 2 weeks. Maybe she has inflammation from getting her glands cleaned?
[notify]

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 3:39pm PST 
The only time my old dog ever had this he had an anal gland infection. They had to be drained and he needed antibiotics.

Also, it might be worse if her stool is hard. Was it? You could feed her some canned food or float her kibble to give her extra water to keep her stool soft.

Either way, she'll need to see the vet.
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 3:39pm PST 
Call another vet. Find a vet with emergency hours. If she is bleeding and in that kind of pain, she should not have to wait until Monday. Anal glands or a cut come to mind as the best case scenario (not that either of those things are good!), worst case scenario she may have ingested something and it is doing damage coming out. Is the blood bright red or dark? Can you see where it is coming from?

Seriously though- if this was my dog I would go through the phonebook until I found a vet with after-hours contact information. Most vets have an answering service for afterhours that can contact the vet at home. In a situation like this, I believe any vet would agree that it is an emergency. Please don't make Bella wait to see a vet.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 3:46pm PST 
I can see red blood. It only bleeds right after pooping, I think. This just started. She is begging for some chips my kids are eating right now. It seems to just hurt while she is pooping.....it's the only time she cries. I have been watching her and she acts normal, except when she goes.

Oh and her poop wasn't hard, it was soft.

Edited by author Sat Nov 6, '10 3:48pm PST

[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 7:42pm PST 
Bella - You need to see a vet. Crying and fresh blood are not normal. Usually this is either due to the consistancy of the stool OR an issue with the GI tract itself. Since her stool is soft now and her pain is still high I would suspect (as others did before) this is anal gland related. This is my best guess with what you have given us. An infected or abcessed anal gland will bleed and cause severe pain when deficating. It also requires an exam by a vet to 1) see if it is this and not something else 2) see if it is open or closed 3) see if it requires more than just antibiotics and an antiinflammatory.

When you call your vet do they have a referral service they suggest on their answering machine or an answering service? I would suggest contacting these ASAP especially if she is painful.

I would not suggest feeding her anything that is not her normal diet.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 7:56pm PST 
Thanks Leah. There is a message on the machine, with a number to call. I didn't want to run to Minot and bother a Vet on a weekend if it was something that could wait until Monday. I will call in the morning and talk to her Vet.

I set the dog food up and only have water out for her.
[notify]
Riley Star

The Life Of- Riley

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 8:25pm PST 
Bella, its a very bad idea to put this off..

Couple years ago Riley did the same thing, was yelping when he tried to poop and some blood came out but no poop. This went on for HOURS and my vet told me not to worry about it!! I finally demanded to bring him in asap.

Turns out he got into the garbage and ate a leftover tbone. It cut up his intestines and stomach and lodged itself stuck in his anus.

Its very important you take your dog to the vet, ASAP!!
[notify]
MattieMay

Agility Diva!

Barked: Sun Nov 7, '10 6:02am PST 
It sounds like she could have an infection. Did the groomer actually empty her anal glans? Personally I don't allow groomers to do that and only have it done at the vet office. It can be done incorrectly causing damage and infection. I know this because my first bichon developed a nasty infection that actually abcessed making a hole next to her anus. It was awful! I do believe you need to see a vet ASAP. If you can't get to one today, see if you can use a warm water compresses every couple of hours to soothe the area. But if it were me, I'd be headed for the vet emergency hospital.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3