GO!

Vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, lethargy?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Gunner

Gunner Boy

Barked: Wed Oct 27, '10 11:50am PST 
Here is what is going on: My dog, Gunner, (1 year old, 1/2 german shepherd and 1/2 pit bull) has been acting very lethargic and hasn't been eating ANY of his dog food since Saturday(10/23). He ate a few treats and pieces of chicken here and there, but not a whole meal or anything. He also hasn't been drinking much water. He will only go to his water bowl about once a day, so I've been trying to give him ice cubes which works about half the time. He hasn't done much but sleep, although we did give him a tennis ball to play with, and he destroyed it within minutes as he usually does. But he is acting depressed, and lethargic for the most part. Yesterday morning he started vomiting. He threw up about 3 or 4 times total yesterday, and once this morning. He also had diarrhea this morning. There was no blood in the vomit or the diarrhea though.

We took him to a ValuVet this morning, and they said for the most part he didn't look that bad and he had no fever, but they wanted to do a few tests that would run us about $450, which we simply don't have right now. The Veterinarian did say that she was almost positive it was not parvo. I'm thinking sometime on Saturday he got into something at my sister's house when we were visiting. He was running around and playing for HOURS with my sister's dog (she has a lot of land), and when we got home and he slept all night and day we didn't think much of it because of how hard he played. But now he's still sleeping ALL day (which is very unusual, my dog is super hyper normally), has absolutely no appetite, and won't even drink the chicken broth we tried to give him this morning.

I am a little relieved that the Veterinarian said he didn't look that bad to them, no fever, and that it most likely wasn't parvo just either worms or stomach ache/virus, but I am worried that he hasn't eaten much of anything in 4 days. I am going to try and give him some Gatorade throughout the day, and tomorrow I will start him on a boiled chicken and white rice diet. I was wondering if anyone on here has any advice on what could be wrong with Gunner. If it is a stomach virus, or if he just ate something bad, how long does it take before he gets better? I will give him some dewormer once he gets his appetite back, but until then I can't give him any medication since he won't even eat his dog treats. What should I do? I can't really afford another Veterinarian trip at this very moment.
[notify]
Gunner

Gunner Boy

Barked: Wed Oct 27, '10 2:23pm PST 
I just wanted to add he's not even eating his peanut butter, but Gunner did drink some of his water today. A lot more than he drank yesterday. This is good right?
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Wed Oct 27, '10 3:04pm PST 
Sounds like Lily when she eats something she shouldn't like a sock. She is never lethargic, but the vomiting and not drinking are familiar. So far I've been lucky. Her body has taken care of it on its own.

Could Gunner have eaten something that he can't pass easily?
[notify]

Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Wed Oct 27, '10 5:04pm PST 
I would atleast get a vet to run a fecal sample. That's only like 20-30 dollars where I am. Sarah was very sick with hookworms and she had similar symptoms, not wanting to eat or drink, vomiting. IF it is worms, the vet can give a medicine to soothe their stomach then they will be more apt to eat. Any time a dog refuses to eat and is vomiting, and especially if they are not even drinking I would be very concerned. Dogs go to great measures to hide that they are sick.
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Wed Oct 27, '10 5:39pm PST 
I would have them run at least a CBC. That would check liver & kidney function, which should tell if he has gotten into something poisonous. Good Luck!
[notify]