GO!

Has anyone had a Partial Spay?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Ziva *RIP*

Ruff N Tuff Diva

Barked: Tue Oct 19, '10 3:01pm PST 
First off I am not trying to start the whole spay/neuter debate yet again. I am curious to know if anyone has either done a partial spay or left their female dog intact without having issues with mammary cancers/pyometra etc. I work for a Vet & know the risks of having an unspayed dog in fact we euthanized a 10 & 1/2 year old labrador today who had Pyometra, however I am also learning that a lot of those risks can be lessened by a natural diet (raw), no vaccinations or toxins (heartworm/flea prevention etc). I am learning more and more about caring for your dogs the most natural way possible and am learning that Spaying may not necessarily be the best thing in the long run. I am trying to make an informed decision about Ziva...she has a few months yet as she needs to recover from Ringworm & I want her to be done teething before I spay/not spay/Partial spay etc.

Here are some articles in support of Partial Spay:
Dr. Belfield Partial Spay Article from 1972

Dogtor J Talks about Partial Spays & estrogens from the environment/diet/toxins etc
Dogtor J Partial Spay

Risks of Spay/Neuter
Long Term Health Effects of Spay Neuter in Dogs
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 12:14pm PST 
By partial spay I assume you mean hysterectomy, removal of just the uterus. I admit I haven't known a lot of people who kept their female dogs intact longer than three years unless they were breeding, but I have known several people who's intact females had to be spayed due to pyometra. A raw diet can help the immune system overall, but it's not going to prevent cancer if a dog gets it from genetics, and it may not even prevent it at all. I think in most cases spaying female dogs before their fourth heat is best. I don't think in many cases with female dogs leaving them intact forever is ideal.

The risks of altering a healthy dog of 1.5 years of age or older are incredibly slim, and most of the risks associated with not altering (with the exception of mammary tumors, and BPH from an enlarged prostate which occurs in most intact male dogs over six years of age) are also not excessively common. Both the risks and benefits health wise of altering or not altering, in most cases are highly hyped up. None of them are 100% guarantees, most aren't even remotely close to 50%.
[notify]
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 12:53pm PST 
I've been thinking about this lately too- I think if I get a female puppy or intact adult female, I might ask my vet if she is willing to do a hysterectomy instead of full spay, because pyometra is a serious risk of intact older females, but the sex hormones produced by the ovaries have protective effects and seem to regulate other body systems. I can't think of any side effects except that you would have to deal with heat cycles (but not pregnancy risks, at least.) And spaying an older female does not change her risk of mammary tumors if she has already had at least 3 heats, so leaving the ovaries in that case wouldn't make any difference.

Don't know where to find it, but remember reading about a long-term study of dogs in Sweden (where spaying is uncommon) finding that dogs with their ovaries intact live longer. Anyone know where to find it again?
[notify]

Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Oct 25, '10 8:31am PST 
Perhaps totally off the wall here, but from a human perspective, a hysterectomy majorly messes up your hormones, and the whacked out hormones are believed to increase the risks for mammary cancer, etc. So, personally I wouldn't be interested in it for my dog, nor would I want to deal with heat cycles and the negative attention they can attract. Just my two cents and I think it warrants more research, just as you are doing.
[notify]