GO!

Lump on one knuckle of the paw?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

  
(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Augusta, CGC

Such a good dog!
 
 
Barked: Tue Sep 28, '10 9:55pm PST 
Last Monday, I noticed a swelling on just one knuckle of Gus's right front paw. I didn't know if it was a bug bite, injury or infection or what--I tried Epsom salts twice a day, but no change--so last Friday I took her to the vet.

The vet said it's hard to tell, but it was soft, could be a sting, but didn't appear to be a spider bite . . .could be a tumor, benign ones like this are common in dogs, but of course would have to biopsy it to be sure.


They said let's try the conservative route, antibiotics for a week and a topical steroid . . . if it goes away great . . . If it doesn't go away or gets bigger bring her back in . . . It's been five days and no change yet . . .

Anyone . . . Leah? know about lumps like this and what's next? And what sorts of benign tumors are there? The vet mentioned a word starting with "H"--I think maybe histiocytoma?

Is there a reason you would decide not to lance it or draw with a needle on initial exam to see if it's an infection or blood?
[notify]
Augusta, CGC

Such a good dog!
 
 
Barked: Tue Sep 28, '10 10:08pm PST 
Oh, and she doesn't seem to be bothered by it, no particular pain or lameness.
[notify]
Augusta, CGC

Such a good dog!
 
 
Barked: Wed Sep 29, '10 10:15am PST 
Bump.
[notify]

Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains
 
 
Barked: Wed Sep 29, '10 10:36am PST 
OK so cysts or histiocytomas are pretty common on the foot. Usually lancing soft masses on the foot makes you end up with an open wound in a dirty place that may not heal well so honestly I don't think lancing is a good idea. As far as sticking a needle in it....The vet may have thought it was too small to safely do this. Aspirating with a needle may actually give you good info as to what this little lump is - they can look at the cells gained in an aspiration to tell what type of lump it is. This vet may think the lump was too small to accurately aspirate.

I would call and tell them you haven't seen a change and request an aspiration to examine the cells in the mass. Histiocytomas and cysts you can leave alone and they usually disappear on their own. Keep in mind they may return later.

Here is a good link to info about masses and how to test them All about lumps
and here is one on Fine Needle Aspirates (FNA's) -->FNA
[notify]
Augusta, CGC

Such a good dog!
 
 
Barked: Thu Oct 28, '10 9:16am PST 
Just follow up on this post--I see it's been a month . . . our lump is still there. You were right Leah when I went to the vet 2 weeks ago, she said the lump was too small to aspirate as far as being sure of getting a definitive sample of cells (I think that's what she meant).

The lump has gotten a bit smaller from original but can't tell that it's changed in the last 2 weeks. She was on antibiotics for 7 days and topical steroids . . .

The vet left me of the option of waiting til we were done with agility (which was last night) and dealing with surgically removing it then and a biopsy at my discretion which was pricy she said . . . sort of giving me the idea that she didn't think this was very urgent and she didn't at least "feel" it was likely to be malignant.

Her main concern seemed to be that since there's so little skin on the paw for closure, we definitely would not want to work with a bigger lump.

So having reread the info on histiocytomas and cysts, I'm wondering what the pros and cons are of rushing to remove this lump, since she'll need anethesia (although she added she could have her teeth cleaned at the same time), vs. the chance of complications, infection and so on.

It's on top of her knuckle and seems to bother her in no way at this point-- she doesn't even lick it.

I didn't really press the vet about what happens if we do nothing and observe it . . . not that I relish spending the money, I will if it's best, but I more hate the idea of unnecessary surgery . . .

Just wondering if you have any additional thoughts Leah, or questions I should ask when I call again . . . Thanks so much!



wink
[notify]
Augusta, CGC

Such a good dog!
 
 
Barked: Tue Nov 2, '10 6:39am PST 
I'm bumping this for when you get back, Leah! wink
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer
 
 
Barked: Tue Nov 2, '10 7:04am PST 
Hope u figure it out!
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains
 
 
Barked: Thu Nov 4, '10 1:04pm PST 
OK - So again this is one of those half dozen of one, 6 of another...

It isn't changing in size with antibiotics or steriods so one would assume that it is neither an infection or an inflammation which pretty much leaves all malignant and non-malignant masses including cysts and histiocytomas as well as something like a mast cell tumor which we all know are bad.

If this were my dog the placement of the mass would make me hesitant to remove and biopsy. I probably would leave it alone, assuming it was normal until it did something. Basically put the ball in the bumps court. If it gets bigger, get the aspirate. But removal could be potentially costly and a big PIA for healing!!
However you are correct that waiting for it to get bigger and then removing will be even more of a PIA HOWEVER at this point if it was found to be malignant I would suspect they would remove the whole digit (bone). This really isn't as bad as it sounds.

Honestly we just can't "know" what it is with the information we have now - there is no way! Cara (my other GSD mix) has a pea sized mass on her hock I have currently been planned ignoring since my conversation with my vets has has resulted in us making assumptions from the placement and size from cases we have seen before. We could be right and we could be wrong - we all know what happens when you assume. But my vets opinion that we watch it was enough for me to decide that surgery may be more traumatizing for Cara to recover from than the risk of waiting and seeing what happens.

This mass has been the same size for 2 years. I measure it every month when I give the HWP.

Talk with your vet and ask what their experience is telling them about this. It sounds like they would be comfortable with you watching it at this point. and I don't think that is wrong.
[notify]
Augusta, CGC

Such a good dog!
 
 
Barked: Thu Nov 4, '10 5:19pm PST 
Thanks, so much Leah, this gives me more perspective on how to talk to the vets next! way to go

You're the best! I know we Dogsters find your insights invaluable!blue dog
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains
 
 
Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 6:33pm PST 
Thanks Gus - you have made me blush!

I was thinking more about this - what breed are you? Some dogs have better feet for surgery than others.....meaning a cocker spaniel has extra skin were as an italian greyhound won't - get what I mean?

ETA - Oh I see a Collie Mix - well ?? a little tougher to guess but try pinching the toe where the mass is and GENTLY! lifting the skin up...how far can you lift it? If you can lift it over a half inch there is proably enough skin to close it well - if not then it could be mor of a PIA.

Edited by author Sat Nov 6, '10 6:35pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2