GO!

We can't get rid of the fleas

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Sun Aug 8, '10 4:13am PST 
Hey everyone! We're having the most awful time with fleas lately and I really need some help getting rid of them. I've tried everything that I can think of and its just not working too well.

We live in a really rural area, so I don't think we'll ever be free of fleas in the yard. But now the big issue is that they're in our house. I bought some spray to put on the carpet, but I don't think there's any way that I'll be able to get all the nooks and crannies of our house where the fleas can hide. I'm thinking of getting a fogger, but I don't know much about them. I know they're generally nasty things, but I'm really getting desperate. Has anyone used a fogger to get rid of an infestation before? Any recommendations for a good one?

And then there's Snick and Ava. I have piles of different products that I've tried on them to repel the fleas. Ava has reactions to everything that I've tried except for Sentry Naturals, but that doesn't work for very long. Snickers, on the other hand, doesn't have any issues with the different flea preventatives, but he's allergic to the fleas. The only issue is that the topicals just aren't working like they used to. I'm sure that I'm applying them right and all, but they're really having almost no effect this year. Capstar works, but doesn't do anything to actually repel the fleas after killing all the initial ones. I've thought about Comfortis, but I'm really wary of it since Ava reacted to the Capstar and, with a pill, there's no way I can just wash off the flea stuff if she has another reaction.

Anything else I can try? There's gotta be something....
[notify]
Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Sun Aug 8, '10 4:25am PST 
Have you tried Revolution? We had a nightmarish time with fleas and that has seemed to work well. (Angel is also allergic to fleas, if he gets any bites he starts tearing his fur out, he got really bad dermatitis from it frown .)

On top of using the revolution, I swept the house EVERY DAY for a while. The flea collars you get at the store don't work when you put them on the dogs, but our vet suggested to get some, cut them up and put them in the freezer. Then you put a couple pieces in your vacuum to kill any fleas that got sucked up but managed to live.

This may be a no brainer, I'm not sure what all you've tried, but I definitely WOULD NOT use any over the counter chemicals on the dogs, I've read way too many horror stories about those. (Not saying that the stuff the vet gives is without its own horror stories, but I'd trust it a bit more.)

Good luck, sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. Fleas are THE WORST. frown hughughug
[notify]
Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Sun Aug 8, '10 4:42am PST 
Thanks Angel! We haven't tried Revolution, but that was only because I'm afraid to after we tried others. I haven't even tried any of the Hartz stuff or anything like that because if she doesn't do well with Frontline and stuff like that, I'm fairly sure that something from a grocery store or Walmart would actually kill her. I did buy a Hartz flea collar to put in the vacuum's canister though - I figured it was probably the deadliest one that I could get laugh out loud And I've been vacuuming like a mad woman too, but its just not doing a whole lot of good.

With a combination of a trip to the groomers for a good bath and some of the Sentry naturals, I can get them flea-free, but it doesn't last long because the little fleas in the carpet just jump right back on. Its exasperating.
[notify]

Shooter Wilson

Mr.Positivity

Barked: Sun Aug 8, '10 6:56am PST 
We had fleas and treated the house with Cedarcide. It is all natural, made of cedar oil and kills the fleas (and any other bug with an exoskeleton.) It works differently than the other flea meds to kill them. There has been speculation that fleas are becoming "immune" to the traditional, chemical meds. They just aren't affecting them anymore.

Apparently bugs with an exoskeleton do not like cedar oil. When they are sprayed with it, it causes their pores that they breathe through to close and they suffocate. I am an evil person because we had an ant problem and I sprayed the window sill they were hiding in and watched them all run into the tub and suffocate. I hate bugs. I can appreciate them, but NOT in my house...and especially not on my dogs (fleas) or in my shower (ants) The Cedarcide helped with both.

We sprayed Shooter, combed him and made sure his were gone. Then we sprayed the house and left for a few hours (it is really strong right after spraying) It was a little oily but it doesn't stain anything and it evaporates after about 24 hours.

It advises you to vacuum a few days after and we kept combing Shooter to be sure they were gone, and we couldn't find any on him! It was a huge relief. (Especially because we were to watch a friends dog the next day...combed her before she left back home just to be sure and no fleas!)

You can get a pump sprayer or a fogger from them. The fogger is expensive...but perhaps you could sell it after you were done or keep it around. We used the pump sprayer. They said the fogger usually isn't needed for fleas, more for bed bugs and spiders...bugs that aren't horizontal dwellers. Fleas generally stay on the floor or other horizontal surfaces...they can't climb walls, etc. Oh, and on the dog.

We are removing all our carpeting before next summer to make sure they don't return...we're pretty sure they were in the house when we moved in as we found tons of flea meds for cats in the cupboard and our tenant never had an issue, and we share a yard.

Edited by author Sun Aug 8, '10 7:03am PST

[notify]
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Sun Aug 8, '10 7:16am PST 
Treating the dogs helps, but it is really working on the environment that stops the cycle.
Flea life cycle is this:
Flea in pupae, dormant.
Vibration, heat and CO2 cause flea to bust out of pupae and hop on to animal.
They feed, lay eggs and the eggs fall off animal into environment. Adult flea jumps off, they do not STAY on the animal long.
Eggs bounce around on substrate, turn to larvae, larvae is photophobic and moves UNDER furniture, or to other dark areas like floorboards) and goes to pupae stage. Pupae can stay dormant for months and are not "killable". Only the larval and adult stages are victims to insecticides.
Cycle starts again.

This is why often one treatment of environment is not enough and how many people think the treatment has not worked...they are missing a section of the life cycle.

This means constant vacuuming and at least two treatments a month to six weeks apart. Be sure to empty the vacuum canister after each time you vacuum and remove the contents from the house. Putting a pyrethrin based collar in the vacuum can help as it disturbs the development of the exoskeleton of the fleas during the pupae stage.

Be sure your vacuuming involves corners, under furniture and any cracks in your floorboards/baseboards.

Good luck.
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Aug 8, '10 7:53am PST 
We live in a rural area in southern Alabama, lots of fleas and ticks. Here is what we did when we got a really bad flea infestation a few years ago.

On the same day:

Bug bombed the house and sprayed carpet flea spray that is supposed to get flea eggs, larva, and fleas.

Sprayed the grounds inside the fences and around/under the house. We dipped the dogs in a really nasty smelling dip, but it removed the fleas on the dogs. They smelled bad for about a week, but we were desperate.

I know we didn't get all of the outside fleas, but we did manage to knock down the population where the dogs hang out down to a reasonable level.

The only thing I would do different if I had to do this again would be to bath the dogs in flea shampoo and start them on comfortus instead of using the noxious dip.

Fritz does have trouble with an entire dose of comfortus, it causes him to vomit. However, if he gets a half dose for dinner one day and a half for breakfast the following day he does fine with it. If Ava is really sensitive, I would break it into 3rds for her.

Good Luck, fleas are horrible.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Mon Aug 9, '10 3:26pm PST 
When Moira brought fleas two years ago ...a bonus for adopting a stray, I used borax (in the laundry department) on the carpet. Sprinkle it on, leave it a day or so, then vacuum. I also had a natural spray - DeFlea- that causes the little suckers to explode. I used it everywhere that couldn't fit in the washing machine, plus on the dogs. Critter Oil from RobbinsPetCare.com was used on the dogs before going outside to repel the fleas. Haven't seen a flea since.

I purchased Cedarcide this year and sprayed everything just for good measure. I sprayed the dogs, too. Moira has since been diagnosed with evironmental allergies. Her rash was in the area where I had sprayed her, though it's also the area that touches her bedding and touches the grass when she sun bathes. I won't be spraying her again just in case the Cedarcide was a factor in her rash and itching. I will use it on furniture and the carpet if I feel the need. I like the smell. Just to clarify things, I do not know if Moira is allergic to cedar. I do know she is allergic to grass.
[notify]