GO!

Hydroxyzine?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gracie

Respect the- Gracie!

Barked: Sun Aug 8, '10 12:19am PST 
At Gracie's yearly physical yesterday the vet gave us Hydroxyzine to see if it would help with her allergies. She's extremely itchy during the warm months and we've already tried various doses of benadryl and Chlorpheniramine. She's on a 50 mg dosage and so far it seems to be helping. Has anyone else had any experience with this? Are there any long term problems with using this?
[notify]
Lincoln

I have no off- switch

Barked: Sun Aug 8, '10 12:40am PST 
This pills didnt do anything for my dog. Honestly, it made mine pee like crazy and drool.
[notify]
Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Sun Aug 8, '10 12:55am PST 
Lincoln, That is one reason we don't use it, in the few dogs I have seen on it the side effects were not all that great, they shook, drooled, and peed a ton. I have heard that Clemastine (Tavist) or Zyrtec are the 'most' effective antihistamines for dogs however only about 30% of dogs respond to antihistamines.
[notify]

Gracie

Respect the- Gracie!

Barked: Sun Aug 8, '10 1:16am PST 
So far I haven't noticed any side effects other than drowsiness. About 20 minutes after I give her her pill she is out. But she is peeing normally and not drooling more than normal. Thanks for the info, I will definitely be on the lookout and if I see any bad side effects I'll ask the vet about something else.way to go
[notify]
Mumble

The Escape- Artist

Barked: Mon Aug 9, '10 6:24pm PST 
My dog has been on Hydroxyzine on an "as needed" basis for a while now, and I've never seen any negative side effects, although he doesn't have to take it very frequently. When he does have an allergy "attack," it seems to help.
[notify]
Sammi

I loooove- squeakers

Barked: Mon Aug 9, '10 9:30pm PST 
Sammi took hydroxyzine twice. It didnt agree with her, made her twitchy and lethargic. But thats just how my dog reacted.
[notify]
Gracie

Respect the- Gracie!

Barked: Thu Sep 9, '10 3:35pm PST 
uh oh! I know this is an old thread, but Gracie has been on Hydroxyzine for a month now and, while it helps her itching, she has been having accidents in the house (ie wetting the bed) which she has never done... could this be a side effect? I didn't give it to her this morning (gave benadryl instead)and will ask the vet for something else. What is the most effective allergy relief med other than prednisone?

Edited by author Thu Sep 9, '10 3:36pm PST

[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Thu Sep 9, '10 3:45pm PST 
Gracie, how much do you weigh?

I have been using it for Allee and I can tell it helps her some and helps alot better than benedryl. Well she took it for about 3 days..

When her allergy issue started a couple weeks ago the vet said try benedryl and I told her it doesn't help my dogs and asked if I could try my hydroxyzin and she said yes try 15mg twice a day. It did help her not scratch as much. And, it always helps me more with my issues I have with allergies and itching and skin problems than benedryl. But, I rarely take it unless I am itching so bad I can't sleep.

I decided today to call the vet and ask them to give Allee some bc I couldn't give her all of mine and tell the doc 'my dog took them all' BOL.
So, they prescribed her 25mg, take twice a day as needed.
I only take 10mg but the vet said dogs can handle more antihistamine.

I will let u all know if she has side effects. I know the 15mg made her sleepy after a couple hrs. So, I am a little worried about giving her 25mg. But, I think they are capsules so I can't half them.

Edited by author Thu Sep 9, '10 3:49pm PST

[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Thu Sep 9, '10 3:52pm PST 
Daisy takes this without any side effects and it does help her itching.

She is 65 pounds and takes 50mg twice a day.
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Thu Sep 9, '10 4:07pm PST 
Allee is only 16.6 pounds and they gave her 25mg. Do you think that's ok?
Because before they said give her 15mg, but I double checked today and she said it's fine.
She said just try once a day at first though.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2