GO!

Small lump on upper front leg?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sun Jul 25, '10 8:24am PST 
Hmm, yesterday while stroking Tyler i came across a small, maybe pea sized lump on his front upper right leg. It is raised from the skin, almost looks like a tick but it isn't. He isn't fazed by me touching or messing around with it and he is his usual self.

Could it maybe be a bite of some sort? I can't see no bite marks in or around the lump. It's the same colour as his skin, not red, inflamed or like a rash. Never felt it up until yesterday so not sure whether it's just appeared or not. Although i think i would have noticed it if it had been there previously.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sun Jul 25, '10 10:50am PST 
Is it like a mole on human?

Daisy had a weird spot on her ear that has what looks like a human mole. I'm thinking it was some type of irritation she scratched then it scarred.
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Sun Jul 25, '10 12:05pm PST 
I just posted something similar about Bama. He has two small bumps on his head. I can't figure out what they could be.
[notify]

Bailey

Wild Child

Barked: Mon Jul 26, '10 8:52am PST 
Where on his leg is the lump and how old is your dog?

I thought my dog had a lump on her left rear leg, but it turned out to just be a dew claw growing back. She had the same lump on her right rear leg.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Mon Jul 26, '10 9:37am PST 
Small pea sized lumps can be any number of masses:

Benign (IE NOT CANCER) options include:
lipomas, cysts, sebaceous gland adenomas, papillomas and hives (although with hives you usually see more of them **BAMA this could this be your issue - I will stop by your thread next**)

Malignant options:
Mast Cell Tumor (these can start very small and are refered to as the great disguising mass since they can feel just like lipomas - a FNA (FNA -Fine Needle Aspirate Test) will succesfully diagnose these HOWEVER if it is really small they may wait to test until it gets bigger as an adequate sample can be tough to optain on smaller masses, melanomas (although they are usually black in color - sometimes these can also be benign), Fibrosarcomas (usually isolated and don't metastize well), squamous cell carcinomas (although these usually occur on unpigmented or lighter colored areas and you are a black dog so really doesn't fit but they also are pretty localized but can start destroying the skin surrounding and cause a large lesion if not removed),

This is a good link to start with but a vet visit is highly reccomended anytime a new mass is noted. Skin growth-lump-swelling-mass in dogs INFO

Has he recieved any injections or vaccines recently? These can somtimes leave small inflammatory lumps (rice sized/pea sized) under the skin which are not dangerous but can take up to 6-8 weeks to dissapear and should be mentioned at next vet visit even if they are still not present as they may want to avoid that injection in the future.

Hope this helps

ETA: Marking the spot of the mass by either shaving a small bit of hair over it or using white out or permanant marker (harder on black fur) will help you monitor the mass, you can measure its diameter and height in mm to see if its growing and how fast, the marking it helps in case it dissapears or you are having trouble finding it again (or at vet) the mark will always be there to make sure you don't go crazy if it disappears and you can't find it!

Edited by author Mon Jul 26, '10 9:48am PST

[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sat Jul 31, '10 5:33pm PST 
Thanks Leah.

After reading Bama's thread i'm almost wondering whether Ty's lump is a cyst of some sort to. It appears to be redder now then what it started out as but doesn't seem to be any bigger. If it is a cyst will it burst/go down on it's own eventually?

Here is a picture of the lump. I know it's not the greatest, but it gives you the general look of the lump.
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Sat Jul 31, '10 8:10pm PST 
That does look kinda like Bama's. His is a little smaller though and it wasn't red at all...just clear/skin color really.
The vet said that it would cause the skin to darken like brown or greyish if it was melanoma.

Could be a wart too?

I am sure it's nothing...maybe just do the vet check just for peace of mind!

Edited by author Sat Jul 31, '10 8:11pm PST

[notify]
Leah, CGC

Barked: Sun Aug 1, '10 1:26pm PST 
Thats a wart - no worries!!

So again - DISCLAIMER - I am not a vet nor ever claim to be BUT by just looking at that little lump I would suspect it is benign and what we commonly call "warts". They usually stay about that size for the life of the dog and generally don't have a discharge or cause the pet harm in any way. Some dogs will chew them raw or until they bleed which can cause secondary infection. In these cases we will surgically remove them but in like 99% of the cases we leave them alone. In my experience once your dog have 1 of these they will have more. Some breeds are more prone to warts like cockers, labs, bully breeds etc.

I would mentioned it at the next vet visit but honestly I think it is nothing to be worried about!

Also keep in mind that skin warts are COMPLETLEY different than oral warts (more commonly known as canine papilomma virus) - oral warts are highly contagious and located on the mucous membranes like mouth, nasal cavity, anus, vagina etc. Skin warts are small cauliflower shaped skin tags/masses that are non-contagious (even from person to pet) and will not spread in a conventional way but like I said before some breeds seem more prone to them and once they start getting them seem to keep getting more!

This website has some great photos of what benign skin warts look like. Check them out to see if they look the same as what you are seeing....From what I see I think they do!-->Wart photos In general I don't really think that you need to worry about treating them or removing them unless they cause an issue for Tyler.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sun Aug 1, '10 2:16pm PST 
Thanks for the helpful information Leah! I'm inclined to agree with you that it is most likely a wart. What is interesting from that site you linked to is that warts are thought to be more of a problem from over vaccination. Tyler is far from over vaccinated - i had to have him vaccinated back in April which was the first time he'd been jabbed since he was a puppy. After the jab he developed a huge lump on the back of his neck as a reaction to the jab but that went down after two weeks. Is it possible that this wart has developed because of him being vaccinated? It just seems to tie in with the fact after 4 years of never having so much as a scratch on him then he suddenly develops this.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

Barked: Sun Aug 1, '10 4:11pm PST 
I linked to this site for the pictures only - I actually almost didn't link to it because I don't agree with some of the info they provide - I think it is alittle misleading but shrug

Sorry - I don't think that these little skin warts have anything to do with vaccinating or not vaccinating your dog. I have seen vaccinated and unvaccinated (street dogs from the islands) with them so shrug.

**I don't know but recently I have realized that everything our dogs have that is negative is due to vaccines (Sorry sarcasm doesn't show up on the internet but honestly the way we vaccinate in the US needs some revamping but in general it has saved more lives than it has endangered - sometimes a wart is just a wart....)
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2