GO!

Drinking human urine!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Finn McCool

a good ACD is a- tired ACD!

Barked: Sat Jul 17, '10 10:01pm PST 
So we just got a new dog Lucy about a week ago. She is a year old, recently spayed from the shelter and we had a rough healing time, with pain and pain meds mildly ulcerating her stomach. She is feeling better and acting more normal.
But, tonight after chewing on a bone for about 10-15 mins, I noticed her coming out of the bathroom, licking her lips. I thought silly girl, there is water, no need to go for the toilet bowl. I went in to put the lid down and it was in the "if its yellow, let it mellow" water saving phase! She was drinking pee! Why did she do that?
We have plenty of fresh water out for the dogs. One of the bowls is next to the bathroom and she has drinken (drunk?) from it before, she knows its there.
Do I need to worry?
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sat Jul 17, '10 10:08pm PST 
Mine will drink the toilet water sometimes because it is cold. Keep the lid shut and you should be fine. I'd be more worried about any cleaning products in the water than the actual urine.
[notify]
Sabrina

American Bully- Love

Barked: Sat Jul 17, '10 10:13pm PST 
shrug not sure if you need to worry but like someone has mentioned(sorry bad with names) id be more worried about the chemicals in the water than urine.
[notify]

Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sun Jul 18, '10 9:15am PST 
Urine is a completely sterile liquid - it is only once it cools down and has sat around for awhile that it begins to accumulate bacteria - and dogs are well able to handle that sort of thing.

It is exceptionally gross and disgusting, but not anything to worry about - I keep the bathroom doors closed and the toilet seats down in my house because I'm worried about him drinking chemicals...and because of the "gross" factor smile.
[notify]
Finn McCool

a good ACD is a- tired ACD!

Barked: Sun Jul 18, '10 10:49am PST 
Thanks for the responses. There we no chemicals in the bowl and anytime I do cleaning I make sure the lid is down, because the cat is obsessed with things we do in water.
I was just shocked! Clean toilet water, puddles, horse troughs, mucky ponds and springs, but I've never seen a dog drink out of a pee'd toilet.
She seems fine this morning, so yes, the lid will stay down. No, I just need to train the hubby on that one. sigh.
[notify]
Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Sun Jul 18, '10 10:55am PST 
Refuse kisses from Lucy for a day or two ....laugh out loudlaugh out loud

Hugs & Farts
Thor ..wave
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Jul 18, '10 2:24pm PST 
I'd guess she just drank out of it because it was colder than the water in the bowl. But yes, I'm with Thor- no kisses! smile
[notify]