GO!

Mouth Abscess - Ouch!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Sally

She is- definately - Miss accident- prone

Barked: Sat Jul 10, '10 4:13pm PST 
First off, i would like to say, first impression of this website - LOVE IT!

Now, my dear old friend, Sally, has a little issue...

About 5-6 days ago, she had a bone. I noticed her mouth bleeding, which it always does with a bone, because she gets quite agressive with it! Anyway, i thought it was her tongue, checked it, all was OK.
Each day after that, at feeding time, noticed her mouth bleeding abit. And again thought 'hmmm, must be her tongue', as thats were the bit of blood was.

Anyway, went out into her 5* kennel (lol) today, to notice abit of blood on the newly painted walls (naughty sal!) so thats when i opened her mouth up to examine it.. to find a red, fleshy lump, behind her front teeth on the roof of her mouth, and in between her teeth. So i freaked out (im such a hissy when it comes to sally).. i then called the vets, which had closed Mid-day. My first impression was that it was definately an abscess caused by the bone.. and good sources also told me it was probably an abscess.

Its not causing her any pain at the moment, so right now, i wouldnt class it as an emergency, but from now until the vets open on Monday, what would be the best thing to do.. as i say, she is perfect in her self, still very bubbly, very waggy tail, eating and drinking really well.

So yeah, just looking for opinions, what to do?

P.s - Sorry, i know this is my first post, and it is a very long one at that!!! lol
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sat Jul 10, '10 5:53pm PST 
Hmm...offhand I would say don't give her any more bones. If you feed kibble, be sure to soften it up first, the less that can irritate the site of the abscess, the better.

Abscesses are REALLY gross but relatively harmless. You should be fine until Monday smile.
[notify]
Pasha

Pasha - let\'s PLAY

Barked: Sun Jul 11, '10 7:42am PST 
Try rubbing hydrogen peroxide on it. Dip a wash cloth, sponge or cotton tip into hydrogen peroxide and dab the abscess with it. That will help kill the excess bacteria from it.
[notify]

Sally

She is- definately - Miss accident- prone

Barked: Sun Jul 11, '10 8:54am PST 
Thanks so much guys.. its good to hear abit of positive feed back, just to put my mind at rest!

Sally is her normal bubbly self today, running around like a mad pup, will definately try that though... thanks again, really appreciated! smile
[notify]
Shooter Wilson

Mr.Positivity

Barked: Sun Jul 11, '10 10:15am PST 
can you try putting Raw Apple Cider Vinegar in her water?

It's a natural cleanser and I use it for Shooter in his water (internally) and on minor cuts/abrasions (externally) It's awesome! It could probably help clean the area and help her heal a little more quickly.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Sun Jul 11, '10 2:57pm PST 
Sally - Please don't put hydrogen peroxide in her mouth! OW! In the past hydrogen peroxide was thought to be a great way to treat abcesses but new science is actually saying it can do more harm than good. Peroxide will actually destroy the not only the bacteria but also the healthy tissue needed for healing. (plus honestly in the mouth it will taste really bad and if swallowed causes vomiting - in large doses swollowed it can cause hypertension and fluid retention)

At this point keeping the area clean and her comfy is best. Abcesses tend to hurt alot less once they pop so she is probobly much comfier now.

Make sure to check in with your vet tom am
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Jul 12, '10 9:23am PST 
Many vets use Slippery Elm Bark as a soother for abscesses in the mouth, we also used it to soothe Tanuk's acid reflux. You can pick up a bottle of it at most health stores, maybe even Wal-mart. You break open the capsules and make a sort of tea out of it, then I use a syringe and make a slurry to put in the mouth.

It's Monday now, so you ought to be good to go, but this is for future reference.
[notify]
Roxy

Roxy - aka Bob

Barked: Mon Jul 12, '10 11:36am PST 
It could be that she traumatized her vomeronasal organ while chewing the bone and that is what is bleeding. It is a puffy/swollen looking area on the roof of every dogs mouth right behind the front teeth. It's part of a dogs sense of smell. Have you ever seen a dog lick something then chatter their teeth, stare into space, and drool? This is the organ they are using to "smell/taste" whatever it is that has caught their interest.
[notify]