GO!

Proin Not Working

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Roxy

Foxy Lady

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 4:42am PST 
My 1.5-year Pomeranian Roxy (spayed) has been incontinent for last five months, leaking whenever she falls asleep.

The vet has ruled out an infection, and Roxy was placed on Proin last week. The Proin is not working. I give her the full dosage, and she's continuing to leak after seven days of starting the medication.

I'm at my wit's end and just really starting to break down. The vet said if Proin doesn't work, Roxy should get X-Rays to check for kidney stones and other abnormalities, and potentially be placed on DES (estrogen pills), because her incontinence could be due to being spayed.

But the vet said he really tries to avoid DES as much as possible, because it can undo the benefits of being spayed and cause more problems in the future.

I just don't know what to do anymore. Can anyone give me advice? I'm afraid this will be an unfixable issue, which breaks my heart. She is not even two years old... cry
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 4:45am PST 
Proin can take 3-4 weeks for you to see an affect.
I recently linked to Proin med info in another forum thread about a leaking doberman - let me see if I can find the link
[notify]
Leah, CGC

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 4:53am PST 
Incontinence Thread
Check out this thread
[notify]

Velma

Obediance,- Loyalty, Faith

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 6:02am PST 
The only dog I've ever seen with incontinence was an intact female. Urinary incontinence is not related to spaying, but more related to thyroid.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 6:05am PST 
Velma - How is it related to thyroid? I honestly have never heard that.
[notify]
George

Mommy's Little- Velcro Dog

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 7:06am PST 
Velma;

I have never heard incontinence linked to thyroid problems and have worked for a vet for 20+ years. Could you elaborate or explain? Incontinence is more linked to spaying and or weak sphyncter muscles. That is a new one on me. I even asked my dad who has been a Veterinarian for 40+ years and he has never heard nor seen incontinence linked to Thyroid issues.
[notify]
Carmen

Love,- Magnificence,- Diversity

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 7:14am PST 
I agree with Velma. There is a link between low thyroid function and urinary incontinence. I have never experienced or even known a female dog that was spayed and had incontinence. Thyroid problems can even cause bowel incontinence, but not nearly as often as urinary incontinence. Low thyroid function is related to bladder infections and incontinence. It is caused by a lack of thyroid hormone, which is unrelated to spaying. I don't believe there is any scientific proof of a relation between urinary incontinence and hypothyroidism, but it is well documented by dog owners and even people who have the problem. However, I do remember reading one publication about hypothyroidism and poor bladder contraction, leading to incontinence.
[notify]
Shellie - *RIP*

Oooh....Shiny!

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 7:19am PST 
Hmmm....very interesting Shellie has a super low thryoid (is on supplementation) and has never had problems with Incontinence.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 7:28am PST 
Acupuncture is also an alternative. Veronica (Mom to Sabrina, the retired PSD and Ollivander, current PSD) that posts in the Service and Therapy dog forums knows quite a bit about it as Sabrina has had problems with spay incontinence and it has worked for her.
[notify]
Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 7:33am PST 
Trixie is a spayed female with vet diagnosed urinary incontinence and no thyroid problem. Never heard of thyroid affecting urinary incontinence, but I suppose anything could be possible.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2