GO!

Luxating Patella Surgery & Recovery

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Camille

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 4:42am PST 
Hello! My dog, Camille has been diagnosed with a luxating patella and she is having surgery on 6/29. She is a Jack Russell / Doxie cross and it quite active. Does anyone have any good tips with regard to the recovery and how to keep her happy and resting? My vet has been very helpful with regard to the technical end of the surgery, but with regard to the recovery they are just telling me things she can't do without telling me how to get her to not do them.

One of my biggest concerns is that she likes to stand on her hind legs a lot to see what is going on. I realize that this needs to stop post-surgery for a while. Any ideas?

Thanks to anyone that can help! We are new dog owners and very nervous!
[notify]
Camille

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 6:32am PST 
Does anyone have experience with this?
[notify]
Carmen

Love,- Magnificence,- Diversity

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 7:00am PST 
No personal experience with patellar luxation, but I've known quite a few dogs that have had it. If something isn't done about it, the problem usually gets worse. It is common in small breeds that are not health tested before being bred. I've seen the surgery peformed on a Pomeranian on tv, and it looked fairly gruesome (then again, all surgery does). The legs are positioned above the dog's head and both knees are done during the same surgery. I think casts are put on the dog's legs, but I'm not sure. Pain medication and exercise restriction is a must. I honestly don't know all that much about it. Some dogs can live with patellar luxation and others can't. Personally, I would have the surgery done to provide pain relief.
[notify]

Camille

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 7:11am PST 
Thanks for the response - we're definitely having the surgery done, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any good methods for exercise restriction and how to keep the dog happy for the next few months. She is quite the active young lady, and even the knee pain hasn't slowed her down. She loves to stand up on her hind legs when she sees us, and I'm trying to come up with ways to "keep her down". Do dogs have a natural inclination like people to slow down when they are recovering? I'm so worried that she will stand up on her hind legs or try to jump too soon, and the surgery will be all for naught...

Thanks everyone! Camille thanks you too!
[notify]
George

Mommy's Little- Velcro Dog

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 7:13am PST 
Camille;

Every dog is different in their recovery, some dogs need tranquilizers or sedation to keep them calm after surgery, for the most part, most vets recommend cage rest (keeping them in a crate) except for potty etc for the first few days, then limiting exercise and only short leash walks for potty the first few weeks. Physical Therapy will be the biggest benefit for your dog following surgery (find a physical therapy vet/facility). I have never had a dog go through this surgery but my cat has been through it 3 times (one had an infection so we had to have another surgery done to repair the damage from the infection), we kept him in a large crate that had room for his litter box/food/water for about 4 weeks, then blocked off all stairs and everything. He did pretty good. Most dogs won't put any weight on their leg for a few weeks after surgery although some will 'touch' down with their toes, it just depends on the dog. If I was having a dog go through this surgery I would make sure I had lots of interactive toys for them (kongs, puzzles, etc) to do in their crate.
[notify]
Camille

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 8:20am PST 
Thanks George (and kitty friends too)...

These are all really great tips! We have two crates for Camille already, her regular crate and one larger crate that we borrowed from a friend with a large dog so that we can have her in the room with us during the day and she feels like she has a little bit of room. I'm thinking that I am going to put her bed inside of that crate so she feels comfortable. I am definitely going to look in to the physical therapy! That is a great idea!!!
[notify]
George

Mommy's Little- Velcro Dog

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 8:26am PST 
Oh and if you aren't arleady, I would suggest putting Camille on a Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplement now and forever after the surgery, it helps lubricate the joints/repair cartilage. I use Synflex for Pets for Zoey, but have used Phycox in the past with great results.
[notify]
Carmen

Love,- Magnificence,- Diversity

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 9:11am PST 
Yes, a glucosamine supplement would be very helpful. I recomend finding one with msm as well.
[notify]
Camille

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 4:19pm PST 
Thanks guys! I found a clinic near me that does hydrotherapy for dogs, I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if they think that PT after her surgery will help her. I am doing some research on the glucosamide - my vet really discouraged it, but I have heard from so many people how good it is for dogs - my vet does not have a very holistic approach to things, hopefully the PT place will (they also offer massage and acupuncture services). Will come back and update this thread as Camille progresses through her healing...
[notify]
Camille

Barked: Tue Jun 29, '10 2:53pm PST 
A quick update to Camille...
Our surgery was postponed today, after another episode of diarrhea with a little blood present (sorry for the gross factor) - this is the 3rd time that this has happened to her since January, so the vet and I concurred that we needed to figure this out first. Camille has an appointment with an internist on Friday, and hopefully we will get this situation rectified quickly and proceed with the surgery soon. Will keep updating status as things change...thanks again to all!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2