GO!

L-lysine: any experience?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Mon Jun 7, '10 7:08pm PST 
Hey peeps!

Bandit has a wart on his ear which the vet froze and most of it fell off. A couple of days after the vet visit, we noticed a war on his upper lip (small) and although I have read that the warts will usually go away on their own and are harmless for the most part, I'd still like to do something to help get rid of them. I read that a dog gets warts from the cutaneous papillomas virus and is an indication of a weakened immune system (could be age related or other). Bandit is young, under 2, so this could be why. But I'd like to give him a boost if I can. I read L-lysine is an essential amino acid that can help boost his immune system and therefore help to get rid of the warts.

I bought the 500mg capsules, but haven't found any concrete info on dosage.

Any of you guys have any experience with L-lysine.
Is it safe? Is it effective? How much should I give him? (Bandit is 23 lbs).

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
blue dog
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Jun 7, '10 8:31pm PST 
Technically warts are caused by a weakening of the immune system, in dogs and humans. But, it's a specific weakening (like epidermis related or something). For instance my husband always has a wart or two (yeeeck), but he is literally never sick, regardless of what he's exposed to. I personally don't think the lysine would help any, and I've never heard of giving it to dogs. It's commonly given to cats with respiratory infections however, and is very effective with that.
[notify]
Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Tue Jun 8, '10 12:30pm PST 
Yeah I keep reading about cats being given lysine, but other than a few others who had also heard of lysine for aid with doggie warts, I can't find any info on it. I was really hoping to find a remedy or something to help get rid of them (other than good old time) but I might just have to wait it out! frown
[notify]

Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Tue Jun 8, '10 7:58pm PST 
Daddy's veterinarian told me that dogs don't get the same health benefits or from Lysine that cats do. I'm not sure why that is, but it doesn't boost their immune system like it does in cats. I found this out because we rescued a cat that has to take lysine and Daddy has allergies so I asked if Lysine/L-Lysine helps cats like it does dogs.

Edited by author Tue Jun 8, '10 7:58pm PST

[notify]
Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Tue Jun 8, '10 8:23pm PST 
bummer... thinking

I'm too scared to try freezing it off his lip (freezing worked fairly well with the one on his ear) because I don't want him ingesting any of the freezing agent.

Poor pup, i think it kind of bothers him a bit because he keeps scratching his snout on the side where the wart is.

Thanks for sharing info! blue dog
[notify]
Moose (In- Loving- memory)

food and sleep- and DOG PARK!

Barked: Thu Jun 10, '10 8:54pm PST 
did you find anything out?? My lab has a wart on the top of his head that I'd like to try a natural approach to first..
[notify]
Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Fri Jun 11, '10 6:37pm PST 
Moose, I think it's actually making him sick. He's been vomiting and having diahrrea for the last few days, Whig is how long I've been giving him the lysine. I didn't give him any Wednesday night, and he was fine Thursday. So I gave him 1 dose Thursday and today he was sick again. Coincidence? Just in case, no more for us. Besides, I wasn't able to find any supporting info that it helps with the warts.

At least warts aren't too harmful as long as they're not in the way of anything. It just sux that the virus is contageous.
[notify]
Isaiah

Black is- Beautiful

Barked: Fri Jun 11, '10 7:28pm PST 
Vets usually use retinoic acid liquid to treat CPV (cutaneous papillomas virus). Usually vets will just surgically remove them. When we raised cattle they use to get CPV often and I would numb the area and remove them with a blade and suture the area. In dogs, most CPV warts actually disappear on their own. I think you are looking to boost the immune system of your dog, correct? Dogs do become more prone to viruses like CPV when their immune systems are weakened. You will first want to address diet and consider switching to raw. Reishi mushroom is the best herb when it comes to boosting the immune system. I also recomend giving plant sterols to balance the immune system so it is not working over or under what it should be. Antioxidants like black cherry are also very good to give.
[notify]
Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Fri Jun 11, '10 9:21pm PST 
Isaiah, tell me about it. I'm so ready for raw its not funny. I finally got my husband convinced to CONSIDER raw (it took his witnessing Bandit's unique reaction to raw duck gizzards) but not until we move to a place with an outdoor space where he can eat (at least a balcony, we don't even have that right now). On the one hand, this is better than his "no way we're doing raw" approach from last year, and we are looking to move in about a year. On the other hand, if he's finally convinced its a good diet - why wait? naughty

We're barely cooking his meat right now as it is, just searing it for a couple of minutes. But its still just topper on a human grade loaf (commercially prepared).

I know Bandit is a dog that would benefit on raw; its very frustrating to me that his own person is holding him back.
Its just so ridiculous that my MAN is more squeamish than me - I couldn't even handle raw meat when I cooked for us just a few years back!!shrug

I'll be honest with you, I was shocked at the realization that his catching CPV may mean that his immune system is weak. I *thought* he was on a high quality diet. I did home the lysine would help strengthen his immune system, but he has been so sick these last few days, I won't give him anymore.
[notify]
Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Fri Jun 11, '10 9:21pm PST 
oops - double post

Edited by author Fri Jun 11, '10 9:22pm PST

[notify]