GO!

Vaccinating While on Antibiotics

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Jun 3, '10 9:34pm PST 
Would Amoxicillin prevent the Lepto vax from working?

Chance had a vet appointment on Tuesday to get her Lepto shot. It's not a vaccine she normally gets but her vet said it's a good idea before going to Montana since she will spend 11 or 12 days swimming and hiking in the backcountry. She got them last year (1st time) so this was a booster.

Sunday we found a lump on her paw that hadn't been there a couple of days before. The e-vet said was a possible histiocytoma (it was 3 mm and had an ulcerated/bumpy top) and gave us Amoxicillin because it was bleeding in 1 spot and had an inflamed look.

By Tuesday the lump was gone and what was left was a shallow crater-like wound with a little pin-prick looking hole in the middle. By this time we were sure it was an abscess from her stepping on a spruce needle 2 weeks before.
The vet at the clinic confirmed it was an abscess, took her temp, said the infection was localized and not systemic and did the lepto shot.

I've tried finding info on the web about vaccinations and antibiotics. Some sites say it's fine, others say the antibiotics prevent the vax from working.
Chance's regular vet at the clinic works Mondays so I will be asking her. But this is driving me nuts.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Fri Jun 4, '10 9:31am PST 
I can only answer from my medical knowledge of humans. I doubt a dog would be much different.

Most vaccines are perfectly ok to give while on antibiotics or while a person has a minor illness. If it is what is considered a 'live attenuated virus' then most people wait until after the antibiotics are finished.

From the quick reading I did the Lepto vaccine is not a live virus so it probably was fine for your dog to be on antibiotics and receive the vaccine.
[notify]
Kira

Yep.

Barked: Fri Jun 4, '10 9:55am PST 
As a nurse for people, I would say yes. I've given vaccines to patients on antibiotics many times, but they are all people. laugh out loud
[notify]

Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Fri Jun 4, '10 11:01am PST 
If I remember right the leptospirosis vaccine is a killed virus.

I feel so much better now! All of the people saying no vaccinations while on antibiotics were talking about DHPP.

I agonized over her getting this one this year because I want her to be vaccinated as little as possible but she will be spending most of this vacation in wild animal country and in water wild animals use.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Fri Jun 4, '10 11:10am PST 
Chance - I would also familiarize yourself with the common symptoms of leptosporosis as well. The current vaccination only covers 2-4 of the 8 strains out there depending on the one given.

The last 20 or so lepto + we have seen the ER in RI have been for a strain that is not covered by the vaccine.

For more info on lepto see ---> Lepto Info
[notify]
Hudson

This Westie is- Rescued!

Barked: Fri Jun 4, '10 11:17am PST 
My vet doesn't recomend lepto and will only give it if an owner specifically requests it. Lepto is a useless and unnecessary vaccine.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Fri Jun 4, '10 12:56pm PST 
Last year we asked her vet if she would need any special vaccines before going to Montana the 1st time. Her vet said Lepto.
She talked with us at length about the lepto vaccine, why she doesn't like it, why it isn't a core vaccine, its limitations, that Lepto is seasonal and the signs/symptoms of lepto before we vaccinated her last year.

Chance spends a great deal of time in the backcountry hiking, swimming in lakes, splashing through irrigation ditches, giving cattle the "eye", etc.

She got the 4-way vax for L. icterohemorrhagia, L. grippotyphosa, L. pomona and L. cannicola servovars.

According to Montana State University, there were 21 diagnosed cases of Lepto in dogs in Montana last year (undiagnosed - who knows.)
13 were positive for L. icterohemorrhagia and 2 were positive for L. grippotyphosa.
There were also 3 positives for L. hardjo, 2 positives for L. autumnalis and 1 positive for L. bratislava.

That 15 of the 21 cases of Lepto were covered by the vaccine was the deciding factor for this year's revax.
[notify]
Hudson

This Westie is- Rescued!

Barked: Fri Jun 4, '10 1:04pm PST 
Leptospirosis is transmitted by the urine of an infected animal and is contagious as long as it is still moist. Unless dogs are in kept in filthy conditions I don't see anyway that a normal dog could contact leptospirosis. That is mainly a puppymill disease.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Fri Jun 4, '10 1:49pm PST 
"Unless dogs are in kept in filthy conditions I don't see anyway that a normal dog could contact leptospirosis. That is mainly a puppymill disease."

Working dogs like hunters and herders are at a greater risk for contracting lepto in areas where it is prevalent so it isn't just a puppymill disease.

Cows, horses and sheep can be infected - Chance will be around all 3 both on the family ranch and on hiking trails.

Wild animals such as rodents, foxes, skunks, rabbits and raccoons can be infected - Chance will be spending time in the same areas as many of these animals.

If Chance drops her water retrieval dummy on the lakeshore where an infected mouse peed that morning, then she's been exposed.

If Chance walks through an area where an infected cow or horse or sheep was grazing and steps in infected pee, she's been exposed.
Even if she doesn't lick it, it can enter through the skin especially if there is any break in the skin - even a minor scratch that is so tiny, you don't know it's there.
[notify]
Elliot

Cats Suck

Barked: Fri Jun 4, '10 2:09pm PST 
Your animals are infected with lepto? I would be more worried about the livestock being infected with it than the dog possibly coming into contact with it.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2