GO!

Milky/cloudy pupil

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Porter

Me too!

Barked: Wed May 12, '10 3:05pm PST 
This last week Porter took a bonk to the head when my fencing fell on him (he insists on helping me with everything). He has a cut over his left eye, but it is healing nicely - the one thing I am worried about is that his left pupil is slightly milky/cloudy looking. He normally has nice dark black pupils, but since the fence incident the one has been slightly clouded.

I did a bit of looking online and can't find any real info about the condition, everything points to cataracts, but those aren't caused by trauma (I didn't think so at least). I did see something on possible glaucoma (secondary), but the fact that he has been like this since Saturday (I didn't notice the pupil til a day or so ago) and isn't showing any sign/symptoms (other than the milky pupil) of it yet make me wonder.

Anybody had any experience with this (in either human or pet)? I keep seeing things associated with cloudy pupils that are due to congenital/hereditary/genetic diseases.

And yes...he has an appointment tomorrow with the vet, it was the soonest I could get him in to see a vet I trust (the other in the office would probably try to prescribe some SD for it).
[notify]
◊- Grizzly Bear- 1987-2003

Beeber Bear

Barked: Wed May 12, '10 3:22pm PST 
Could be some scarring, but it may not ever go away.

I sure hope you don't hurt yourself again! Glad you are going to the vet.

hughughug
Porter

Me too!

Barked: Wed May 12, '10 3:31pm PST 
That was what I was thinking since posting, but I haven't been able to find out anything about pupil scarring...I keep finding info on corneal scarring, but not much more than that, which I am not sure it is anyways as it is in the pupil because it dilates and constricts with the light.

No photophobia, no pain when I try to look, no apparent vision problems, no more clumsy than usual, no discharge, nothing other than the cloudy pupil...I wish I knew what was up!

Edited by author Wed May 12, '10 3:32pm PST

[notify]

Beeber Bear

Barked: Wed May 12, '10 3:35pm PST 
He's probably too young for Nuclear Sclerosis, but that causes cloudiness...

frown

Mom said I had blue pupils from the time I was about 7.shrug

Here's another site on it Wikipedia

Edited by author Wed May 12, '10 3:37pm PST

Penny

Super-dawg!

Barked: Wed May 12, '10 4:17pm PST 
OK, so you can't really have a cloudy pupil per se, because a pupil is just a hole formed by the iris (colored part of the eye). It is probably a cataract - a clouding of the lens of the eye, which sits just behind the iris/pupil. It can be caused by trauma (at least in humans), though I don't know what kind of eye injury your pup had.

-Penny's mom (human eye surgeon)
[notify]
Porter

Me too!

Barked: Wed May 12, '10 5:02pm PST 
Thank you Penny, I am not getting a good feeling about this the more I look into it.

I couldn't find anything about cataracts being caused by trauma in dogs at first. It isn't looking good for my poor boy one way or another though (possible surgery or losing his eye - I'll know more once I find an ophthalmologist).

The fencing (stand alone kennel style chain link) fell and hit Porter on the head, I didn't even think to check his eyes because I was seeing blood and that was my main concern, but I did notice that his eye looked funny yesterday.

My little boy is otherwise a very healthy dog and this is seriously a huge let down - he has been through one thing after another (last summer breaking his pelvis and now this! - not sure how much more I can take).

Edited by author Wed May 12, '10 5:04pm PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed May 12, '10 5:23pm PST 
That cloudiness is pretty common in an eye that has suffered a cut or a scratch. Usually if you look carefully at an angle you can see that the cloudy part is the transparent covering over the outside of the eye, and may look like it is almost a coating over the eye. In some cases it will clear as it heals, some cases it is permanent. We groom a golden who got scarring from skunk spray. His is permanent. I had a lab who had an area left cloudy after a cat scratch. Eye ointment is usually prescribed, but depending on whether there is an actual "break" or tear in that covering, it may contain steroids or antibiotics. Steroids are contraindicated in cases with "open" wounds or tears.
[notify]
Porter

Me too!

Barked: Wed May 12, '10 5:37pm PST 
No cut or scratch...sadly nothing is obvious other than the cloudy looking eye.

I was looking at it closer though (can't seem to get a non-fuzzy photo), but his eye looks almost like I had edited a photo with red eye! Porter in an edited photo from months ago, you can see the ring that inside the pupil, that is basically what it looks like in real life without any editing. It is really odd.
[notify]

Beeber Bear

Barked: Wed May 12, '10 6:07pm PST 
I doubt he'll have to lose the eye, but if he does, I know he'll be fine.

What a handsome boy he is, too!big grin
Porter

Me too!

Barked: Wed May 12, '10 7:08pm PST 
Thank you Gizzly Bear. I am sure he will adapt just fine one way or another, but he is my little boy and the thought of more bad stuff happening to him makes me sick. He was supposed to be my sport dog, but instead he is just my little boy that I get to play with.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2