GO!

My dog eats rabbit poop - HELP!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maggie

I always have a- smile on my- face!

Barked: Sat Apr 17, '10 9:26am PST 
I have a 2 year old Beagle named Maggie and every time we take her outside (it is always on a leash) she sniffs through the grass and eats rabbit poop. We recently had her to the vet because she had blood in her stool and she had a protazoan in her digestive system - I know this is because of the rabbit poop, and we have tried everything to get her to stop but nothing has worked. When we take her outside she is so quick to get them out of the grass that it's hard to stop her before she eats them.

Any ideas on how to get her to stop?

Regards,
Danielle
http://www.petstrong.com/blog
[notify]
Coda

Happy All the- Time!

Barked: Sat Apr 17, '10 10:31am PST 
If you figure it out, let me know! Coda eats any kind of poop she can find and she's 5 now, we haven't found a way to stop her. It's in her mouth and down her throat before we even know what's happened. Teaching 'leave it' and 'drop it' has helped - but only helps when we see the poop before she does, which often isn't the case in grass.

I can't help, but I can sympathize!
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Sat Apr 17, '10 10:39am PST 
You can try pineapple maybe (I don't know if rabbits can have it) but when a dog eats it's own poop or a family dogs poop, It is suggested to feed some pineapple. It tastes great going in, and make the poop replusive when eaten..

If you try it I hope it works.
[notify]

Coda

Happy All the- Time!

Barked: Sat Apr 17, '10 10:47am PST 
I don't know about Maggie - But I'm pretty sure Coda doesn't taste what goes in her mouth, she just swallows it. We have yet to find anything we can put in the dogs food to make her stop eating it out the other end. She will literally eat anything. She's not a chewer anymore, but when she was, she licked up the bitter apple spray like it was an appetizer to whatever item she was about to destroy. I haven't ever seen her refuse anything that is edible, or even possibly edible.

Another thing, if Maggie is a ball or stick loving dog (Coda is not) you might want to give her something to carry on her walks so she has her mouth busy and full. It would help.
[notify]
Maggie

I always have a- smile on my- face!

Barked: Sat Apr 17, '10 12:58pm PST 
These are good suggestions - Maggie usually has her nose to the ground during her entire walk and sometimes it's hard to know if she is sniffing for a spot to potty or for rabbit poop. We try not to keep her in one spot for very long but I know she still finds ways to eat it!

Maggie will also eat anything - the only thing I have seen her refuse to eat is a piece of raw potato - she is like a garbage disposal in many ways... laugh out loud

Keep the advice coming - I'll try anything at least once!

Thanks,
Danielle & Maggie
http://www.petstrong.com/blog
[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Sat Apr 17, '10 1:10pm PST 
Moira has the same lovely habit. On walks, I have used "Leave it" enough that she no longer looks for anything while moving. In our yard, it is harder. Squirrel poo seems to be a delicacy. I don't stay out with the furgirls when they are out and I also don't want to be bugging her all the time, so I just live with the goobling squirrel poo this time of year when the snow goes.

A dead snake, huge snails (needed meds for that one), squirrel poo, duck poo, etc. That's my girl!
[notify]
Allie - RIP

Mom thinks I'm- just BEAUTIFUL - am I?

Barked: Sun Apr 18, '10 7:13pm PST 
Well, both my dogs have suddenly developed an obsession for chewing the little clumps of grass that result from mowing the lawn. It is very frustrating to me, since I don't know if this stuff will come out the other end, and it's more than one or two clumps a day that each one eats. I have considered buying muzzles (was just looking on eBay tonight for them - would only cost $5 to get one, including shipping, and you can return it if it doesn't fit!) but so far haven't gone that far!

I can't go out there every time I let them out in the backyard, and I can't rake all of the grass residue up every week, either, so for now I'm putting up with it. Before that, they only occasionally nibbled on rabbit poo, but I haven't seen any of that in the backyard recently, so perhaps they're upset that their dessert is not available and have decided to give grass clumps a try!

Maybe someone else has suggestions!??! Maybe?? Help?!
[notify]
Dante

I know, I'm- handsome

Barked: Mon Apr 19, '10 6:02am PST 
Careful with that Allie,

A very sick dog and a large vet bill later, Coda was determined to be impacted with grass from eating the grass clippings, and she didn't eat much. Thankfully it was fixed quite easily (and uncomfortably, for her) - but it wasn't a fun ordeal to see her so sick she wouldn't eat - not natural for a beagle!

Just keep an eye on them!
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Mon Apr 19, '10 6:35am PST 
We get frogs here in the spring... LOTS of frogs. And inevitably, not all of them get across the street intact (gack!). Titus has a strong "leave it", but mostly we just keep moving on our walks - head up, no dilly-dallying. We have designated areas for potty breaks.
[notify]
Sophie

Can I lick the- plate please?

Barked: Mon Apr 19, '10 7:05am PST 
Sophie and Kahirah both ear rabbit poo, its so fustrating! Sophie also tries to eat grass clumps. What to do. shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2