GO!

My Dog Ate Baking Soda

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Anchortown- Dogs

Barked: Tue Apr 13, '10 11:40am PST 
My 65 lb. girl ate quite a bit of baking soda today. Enough that I was referred to poison control hot line. It is dangerous because it can cause problems with her electrolyte balance, muscle spasms, and lead to heart failure. I called poison control and we are trying to induce vomiting by using peroxide. Has anyone else had this happen? I am scared for her. Tina
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Tue Apr 13, '10 1:36pm PST 
Gosh, no! Mom used to brush her teeth with it, and wonders what on Earth your pup was thinking. The stuff tastes AWEFUL!silencedfrown

Poor baby! Hope you feel better soon!hug
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Tue Apr 13, '10 2:09pm PST 
I hope you are okay! POTP to you!

Before trying to induce vomiting with peroxide - is there a chemical reaction with baking soda and peroxide? (sort of like with vinegar?) We don't want it expanding in the stomach or anything.

I hope the best, keep us updated!
[notify]

Pookie- (Luke)

My nose is the- bestest thing.

Barked: Tue Apr 13, '10 2:21pm PST 
Keeping you in my prayers and thoughts.hug POTP hope you'll be OK.hug

Edited by author Tue Apr 13, '10 2:22pm PST

[notify]
Anchortown- Dogs

Barked: Tue Apr 13, '10 2:29pm PST 
We took her to pet emergency and they are going to keep her for the day to monitor her electrolyte levels. Thank you for your kind thoughts. Tina
[notify]