GO!

Dog ate chicken wings

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Gilligan

Silly Gilly

Barked: Sun Apr 11, '10 3:20pm PST 
Wanted to share this. I think it's important for all dog-owners. This morning my dog scarfed down the remains of two chicken wings while I left the room for 30 seconds. My grandson was calling for my help. I went to justanswer.com which is advertised here at dogster.com. I knew if I could make him vomit right away, it would save me hours of worry and perhaps thousands of dollars. The vet told me to induce vomiting with 2 to 3 T. of hydrogen peroxide every 5 min up to 3 times. If he did not throw up, then feed him alot of dry food to mix with/surround the bones during their passage through the GI tract. Well, I filled one of those little baby snot suckers with the HP, made him drink it by squeezing it back into the side of his mouth. He started to gag, ate a bit of grass and promptly vomited up the contents of his stomach, including all the chicken bones, still intact! Best and most useful advice I have ever gotten! The vet responded in less than 10 minutes! The minimal fee they ask for if you're satisfied with their answer was well worth it! My dog hasn't any side effects and was perfectly fine after vomiting.
[notify]
♥- DarlaMae - ♥

I Am- Iron Nose- !

Barked: Sun Apr 11, '10 6:13pm PST 
Glad you are ok Gilligan & got the help needed right away.way to go
No more pinching people food.wink
[notify]
George

Mommy's Little- Velcro Dog

Barked: Sun Apr 11, '10 11:57pm PST 
Personally I would be quite hesitant to induce vomiting when a dog eats something like chicken bones as they could lacerate your eosophagus. We have never recommended inducing vomiting when cooked bones are eaten (I work for a vet). I am glad to hear that it went okay though.
[notify]

Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Mon Apr 12, '10 7:08am PST 
heh... my dogs eat chicken bones on a regular basis... they had pork ribs this weekend too! Yum yum!
Glad your dog is okay though! Mine would hate me for life if I made them barf up their dinner laugh out loud
[notify]
Sophie

Can I lick the- plate please?

Barked: Mon Apr 12, '10 8:02am PST 
I heard not to induce vomiting but give bread to eat to cushin the bones.
[notify]
Gilligan

Silly Gilly

Barked: Mon Apr 12, '10 6:56pm PST 
To George, I agree I would not induce vomiting if the dog had chewed the bones, but I was only out of the room for about 30 seconds and so knew he had scarfed them down whole - and that's exactly how they came back up. smile
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Tue Apr 13, '10 7:18am PST 
I'm sure he would have passed them fine. Most dogs do.

Next time I would just dip some cotton balls in cream or milk and get them to eat it, It cushions the bone (usually used for glass - or christmas ordiments) and makes it safely pass through.
[notify]