GO!

I feel horrible... (the pepper spray incident)

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Thu Apr 1, '10 8:24pm PST 
Does anyone know if pepper spray can cause long-term harm to a dog? We had a little incident today...

Me, Daegan, my little sister, and her boyfriend all went for a walk today down this dirt road. We'd never been down it before, so it was a great opportunity for Daegan to see something new. (Our walks are usually pretty routine.. around the same area every day.)

Anyway, we walked past this really big farm. And this GINORMOUSLY HUGE dog started toward us. I freaked out because he was sort of trotting in a downward position and had his ears back. This was NOT a dog I wanted to take a risk with, so I handed my can of pepper spray to my sister and told her if the dog came at us aggressively, to spray him. (I was trying to keep Daegan calm on his leash... He had his GL on and I didn't want him to hurt himself if he got too excited..)

The dog finally got to us and trotted over to Daegan. As SOON as he sniffed Daegan, my sister sprayed the dog! I really don't know why she got all trigger happy with the pepper spray all of a sudden, but it really upset me. The dog hadn't done anything.. He looked a little confused and walked away from us. He started wiping his eyes with his paws, but other than that he seemed okay...

It broke my heart because this dog (who looked like a lab/great pyrenees mix) was just old and sweet and wanted to say hi...

Another thing that upset me was that my sister had accidently sprayed Daegan too! And he didn't react as well as the older dog did. Daegan started rubbing his face into the ground frantically, and I just started crying and trying to wash off his face and eyes with water. He was okay after about a minute though.

Then somehow, she and I got a whiff of the stuff (I guess coming from Daegan) and we spent the next hour or so coughing and sneezing... Then her boyfriend apparently got a whiff of it in the car because he started coughing too.

Anyway, I'm sure Old Yeller's owners are going to wonder why his face is covered in orange liquid.. I just hope it didn't hurt him too much. I was afraid he might go blind or something. Daegan too. Anyone know anything about dogs' reactions to pepper spray?

I feel horrible... frown
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Fri Apr 2, '10 10:06am PST 
I don't know if it will cause permanent damage or not... I don't know how old your sister is, but keep in mind that some jurisdictions consider pepper spray and mace to be weapons that require permits and instruction. Even if yours doesn't, you (and your sister, if she's old enough) should have some training in the appropriate use of such deterrents.
[notify]
Mister- Jagger

YIP YAP I love- Rock and Roll!

Barked: Fri Apr 2, '10 10:48am PST 
Did you at least go explain to the dog's owner? I would be pretty upset if my dog got sprayed in the face with pepper spray, accident or not, and nobody came to inform me. shrug

I was actually reading another thread on Dogster awhile ago about methods of defending yourself against stray/aggressive dogs. Pepper spray is not a good way, since a slight breeze could send it towards you or your dog.

As for Deagan, I'd call the vet and ask them about it.
[notify]

Syddalee

Some things are- just meant to- be.

Barked: Fri Apr 2, '10 11:05am PST 
I'm confused? I'm assuming this dog wasn't on his own property and if it was then the whole thing should of never happen! I too hope that you one took the dog home and explained to owners what happen. If you left the old dog with stuff in its eyes and didn't try to make sure then it found find its way home the HUGE SHAM on you. Think about a old dog blinded with stuff in its eyes and sense of smell off due to the spray it would be criminal to just leave the dog without trying to find the owner. It would of been nice of you to try to help the dog since he really was just curious about your pup by washing its face off like you did your your own, if they old dog would trust u enough after that to let you get close. I also agree that if this was truly an aggressive attack, pepper spray won't stop it, just intensify it. Sounds like you and your sister need some better education preventing attacks and how to defend your dog in attack.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Fri Apr 2, '10 11:17am PST 
One. Pepper spray can and will stop an aggressing at large dog. I've seen it work first hand. It's what law enforcement uses. Again, because it works.

Two. I would never and I mean NEVER attempt to then grab said sprayed dog and help it find it's way home. Or notify it's owners. The dog is running at large and if it's approaching me in such a way that I feel threatened enough to use pepper spray I'll be dipped if I'm then going to go and try to touch it. Getting myself and my dog(s) to safety would be priority number one.

I would report the incident to animal control if you area has one and let them handle it from there. If you don't have animal control report it to the local police dept.

Next time don't hand a can of pepper spray to someone not adept at using it or identifying threatening behaviors. You can't hardly fault your sister for doing her best. I'm sure her intent wasn't to cause any undue harm. I'd take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Your dog will be fine seeing as he didn't have any sort of immediate allergic reaction (most sprayed with it don't). Rinse his face thoroughly with plain water, the effects will wear off in a days time or so. Pepper spray although irritating is generally a very safe deterrent. Which again is why law enforcement uses it on the general public, people and dogs.
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Fri Apr 2, '10 11:20am PST 
Pepper spray to my knowledge doesn't have a long term reaction... People get pepper sprayed and it's more of an annoyance.

If this is bear mace or anything - thats a different story. I don't know if there are different types of sprays from different intensities.. if not i think they will both be fine.

Like other have said - I hope you helped this dog home and spoke to the owner. I would be chokedd to find chloe wondering around temp. blind and basically senseless.

p.s... don't let people who can't justify a situation use a weapon... if your sister is young, don't give her a weapon.
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Barked: Fri Apr 2, '10 11:23am PST 
Trigger, the way I read it the dog was on his property (this sounded to me like an acerage) and basically just went out to front to 'inspect' there wasn't any harm done.

I don't think this dog was running around town picking fights.. I don't think it's fair for you to suspect this dog was crazy and shouldn't get any sympathy.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Fri Apr 2, '10 11:29am PST 
Chloe - I was responding to ALL the posts that said if anyone sprayed their dog accident or not they'd want to be notified and their dog brought back home.

If someone's dog is coming at me, is off their property, off leash, unattended I would spray them to avoid Trigger ripping into them. Friendly or not, it would be the most humane thing to do to avoid a major catastrophic fight. And it wouldn't be my responsibility to do anything with the other dog after I sprayed it. It's the dogs owner who needs to be responsible for where their dog is at, who it's coming into contact with and what dangers it could encounter while running at large. Not mine.
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Barked: Fri Apr 2, '10 11:41am PST 
If trigger is going to rip into all these dogs, nice or aggressive - I would think

a)its rude to just be spraying dogs if your dog is going to attack them. They then can't defend themselves.

b) avoid dogs - trigger sounds vicious...
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Fri Apr 2, '10 11:48am PST 
a) it's not rude. It's my right to protect myself and my dogs. I'm not sure of many places in this country where it's legal for dogs to run at large (if there are any?). I have compassion for dogs who are "allowed" to in the sense that they're put in serious danger every day. Them being hit by cars, stolen, killed by other animals, poisoned etc breaks my heart. Dogs should have owners that love them enough to keep them safe. Owners that let their dogs run at large don't, and it's an awful shame.

b) you're right. He absolutely IS vicious. But only because while out on simple walks for the last 4 years of his life we've been attacked by at large dogs more times than I can count. Not like woof woof, strange Fido's barking from their yards but physical confrontations that have landed him and I injured and the dogs responsible dead (via euthanasia once those same dogs attacked law enforcement too - hence my reference to knowing the pepper spray works. When one attacked an officer I called because I couldn't leave my front door that's how the dog was ultimately subdued. Two days later he disappeared, I can only assumed what happened to him). On leash Trigger is now the most reactive dog you'll ever meet but that's not his fault. Nor should it mean I should not be allowed to walk him anymore. Everyone keeps their dogs contained and there would never be a problem. Beyond the leash reactivity he is an angel. He's friends with all my friends and family's dogs and I foster for several shelters and rescues.

Edited by author Fri Apr 2, '10 11:50am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4