GO!

Frustrated trying to find a Flea/Tick preventative

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Stinky

*insert fart- noise*

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 10:54pm PST 
I feel like there is no easy answer to this often asked question of what natural flea/tick preventatives are safe. It seems like EVERYTHING has a downside thats could possibly be harmful. Not to mention I'm pretty much in a panic trying to find something, as we go hiking a lot and I found a tick on Gypsy the other day (it was just roaming, never actually bit down).

Garlic might or might not be toxic. Essential oils can be harmful if not diluted properly (or even if diluted?). They don't always work for every dog. I NEED something for them but the last thing I want to do is risk their health. It's looking like there is no way around potentially having a bad reaction or putting their health at risk.

Does anyone else freak out about these things?? Or am I just waaay over thinking this?
[notify]
Mollie Jo- CGC

*LICK* *LICK*- *LICK* *LICK*

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 11:22pm PST 
We use and trust Frontline Plus. After that the best tick prevention is me...after we go in the woods or down by the creek I check the dogs out and get any ticks off. I hope you find something that works for you.
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Thu Mar 25, '10 7:52am PST 
I have used frontline plus for allee and bama and it has worked for us since 2006. I just put half the dose on her and half on Bama.!
[notify]

Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Thu Mar 25, '10 8:41am PST 
Think about it this way, no matter what method you choose, whether natural or not, it's going to have some toxicity. Seriously, if it repels or kills fleas and ticks, it has to have something at least remotely nasty in its make-up. However, you have to evaluate how much risk you're willing to take, and what in your mind is the lesser of the evils. Personally, I think Frontline is less of an evil than anemia, lyme disease, tick paralysis, infestation, etc.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Fri Mar 26, '10 12:40pm PST 
I would normally use the topical flea treatments but will not on Milton. Probably won't consider using them again on another dog either. On the news I heard there are more negative reports on these products than usual. They are increasing according to the news report I saw. It would explain the terrible experince I had the last time I used one. I put either frontline or advantage on Milton and he broke out into small sores all over his back. I can't remember which one it was, but all the sores were concentrated in the areas where the most oil is. I am positive one of those products caused it. I did not reapply and it cleared up.

Right now I have not seen one flea yet, probably because of a cold winter. I have already started the prevention of them and daily flea combs.

One thing you can do is brush your dog's coat out daily with a flea comb. Have a bucket of soapy water on hand to dip the comb in periodically. This removes the eggs and the fleas. Run your dog's bedding through the dryer for 30 minutes on the hot cycle once a week. Vacume your house regulary.

I have been using a neem based spray made for pets on Milton and spray him and his beddings once a week with it.

Holistic pet books are good reads for non-toxic ways to prevent fleas. Frontline and most topical flea preventive products are pesticides. Pesticides are toxic.

So far here in the deep south, Milton has not gotten a flea.

More information here from Healthy Pet Journal
http://www.healthypetjournal.com/default.aspx?tabid=19241
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Mar 26, '10 12:45pm PST 
Well, no good for ticks - but we are liking Comfortis so far. Savvy cannot use the topicals. She has gotten reactions from hives to hair loss and they get worse each year.

We have only used Comfortis for one month, but fleas are cleared up.

As far as ticks go, we will have to see what we can do about that. It is easy to spot them on yellow Savvy but not so much on black Samoa or red Dubs.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Fri Mar 26, '10 12:52pm PST 
The most common adverse reaction reported is vomiting.

Other adverse reactions reported in decreasing order of frequency are: depression/lethargy, decreased appetite, incoordination, diarrhea, itching, trembling, excessive salivation and seizures.

Following concomitant extra label use of ivermectin with Comfortis, some dogs have experienced the following clinical signs: trembling/twitching, salivation /drooling, seizures, incoordination, excessive dilation of pupils, blindness and disorientation.

Post approval experience continues to support the safety of Comfortis when used concurrently with heartworm preventatives according to label directions.

>>>>>>>
That's the list of possible side affects of Comfortis from the website. I looked into it after the topical flea treatments destroyed my dog's coat and made him itch constantly.

Bla! Knowing my reactive dog, he'd probably get one. Blindness??????? Seriously?

I am going to feed my dog a healthy diet and pick ticks off of him.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Mar 26, '10 12:57pm PST 
I was worried about the possible side effects of Comfortis, but two out of three of my pups started their mad itching early. We had a bad time last year - they may have an allergy to the fleas as well!

Both Savvy and Samoa lost a lot of hair and scratched themselves stoopid. They are much better now, and I didn't want to take a chance on a repeat this year.

So I took a chance on the Comfortis and fortunately nobody showed any side effects. And side effects are required to be listed. With ordinary healthy dogs they need not be common.

What IS your diet? We switched to raw, and I am certain that helped them recover after last years issues.

And the fleas are apparently gone.

Edited by author Fri Mar 26, '10 1:00pm PST

[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Fri Mar 26, '10 1:01pm PST 
I just looked up lyme disease.
http://www.vetvax.com/lymediseasedogs.html

The tick has to be attached to the dog longer than 48 hours before it can be passed. I could find one with my daily flea combs before that happens. Chances diminished.

The syptoms of lyme disease are also milder when compared to the possible side affects of comfortis and most dogs recover from lyme disease. i don't think blindness is cureable.

Pretty common for these chemicals and pharmies to have worse possible side affects than the ailments they are supose to prevent.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Mar 26, '10 1:12pm PST 
Well, I understand your opinion. But given the exteme conditions of two of my pups last year with their apparent flea allergy - doing nothing (or no more than combing and feeding a good diet) is just not an option for us.

I feel like all meds have their side effects and beneficial effects. Unless the pet is acutely sensitive to the side effects (yours may be) the beneficial effects outweigh them.

Otherwise, no one would take ANY kind of medication.

Oh, and Comfortis doesn't treat for ticks, anyway. So I will be looking out for them using your methods!

Edited by author Fri Mar 26, '10 1:13pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3