GO!

natural flea/tick treatments.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Shooter Wilson

Mr.Positivity

Barked: Tue Mar 23, '10 9:20am PST 
i think there is a forum about this somewhere but i can't
find it.

what are some natural flea/tick preventatives and/or treatments and how effective are they? any you have used yourself and seen results?

we have never had a flea/tick problem but this spring would like to at least do something to prevent them, just in case.

my friend also uses frontline and after reading a bit more about it (and recent need for them to change their warning label) she is interested in a more natural approach to the problem as well.
she did have a tick problem when her BF had her dogs and did not care for them, that's why she likes using a preventative- she is scared it might happen again.

so any info will help, thanks! for the both of us smile
[notify]
Ace

mommy's guardian

Barked: Tue Mar 23, '10 9:51am PST 
you can use garlic,black walnut, ginger root and a few more. We do all natural flea and tick remedies after finding out that frontline did not work when we went on vacation last summer....our dog got infested w/fleas in just a few days.
google natural flea and tick rememdies and it will tell you the dosage for black walnut, ginger root, garlic ect
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Mar 23, '10 12:52pm PST 
We tried to natural way with garlic but it didn't work last summer.. we got a flea infestation and that sucked.

We put them on Frontline Plus and it still seemed like Lilith picked up fleas and ticks on our hikes (oddly not Luna or Lantis, though).

So this year we have them on Advantix, not natural, course, but so far no ticks or fleas and we've been out on a few hikes already.
[notify]

Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Tue Mar 23, '10 4:56pm PST 
Great thread!...I will be interested in seeing more replies!smile
[notify]
Mr. Kite "Sumo"

being for the- benefit of mr.- kite.

Barked: Tue Mar 23, '10 5:07pm PST 
ace, i will google those- do you use all 3 together? or all 3 rotated, or...?
if separate- which have you found to be most effective?

i've read that garlic can make your dog smell garlicy...is this true?
[notify]
Ace

mommy's guardian

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 8:30am PST 
So far we have done garlic and ginger root together. We have not started our black walnut yet but plan to add that to their diet when flea season hits here.
As for garlic making them stinky..I haven't smelled anything lol but we use odor free garlic capsules
[notify]
Niko - RIP- 1992-2009

the BEST

Barked: Mon Mar 29, '10 12:26pm PST 
Buck Mountain Gold for Flea and Tic prevention is all natural Holistic powder.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Mon Mar 29, '10 12:55pm PST 
Flea comb and bucket of soapy water to dip the comb in.

I have been going over my dog daily with a flea comb and dipping the comb in soapy water. It removes eggs and fleas. It's easy with a small dog with a thin coat.

Vacuming frequently and running the pet beds through the dryer on the high setting for 30 minutes is also something I do.

So far I have not seen any. The winter here was colder than normal with 3 days of snow cover. The fleas are not hatched yet or maybe it's working. I had an awful experince with topical flea medications and will do everything not to use them again.

I also spray my dog and his beds once a week with a flea spray made for pets that is based with Neem and citranella. Neem is also soothing to the skin.
[notify]
Pisces

Where's the- party at?!?!

Barked: Sat Apr 3, '10 5:45pm PST 
Has anyone ever heard of using neem oil?? I heard that mixing it in your dog's shampoo will help deter the fleas. I haven't been able to stop by my co-op yet but I will soon.
[notify]