GO!

How long should small dogs be able to "hold it"??

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Thu Feb 4, '10 6:24am PST 
I was wondering if it's normal for smaller dogs to be able to hold their urine for less time than larger dogs?

Kit can only seem to be able to comfortably hold it for about 4 or 5 hours. He CAN hold it for longer, like during the night he's fine, and if we go out and leave him in his crate for longer he's fine.

But during the day he usually asks to go out about every 4 hours. Sometimes if I don't get him out fast enough, he'll pee on the floor next to the door instead of waiting for me to get ready.

I kind of always just assumed it was because he's smaller than any other dog I've ever really dealt with, and so his bladder must be smaller. But now after talked to some other owners, I'm not so sure.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Thu Feb 4, '10 6:36am PST 
I think that's up to the individual dog really, although it's also true I never met a large breed dog that asked to go out every 4 hours (barring health reasons). But among our two minis, Luna is the same as Kitsune, whereas Lilith can and will wait much longer. They're only 3lbs difference in size, though, not sure if that makes a whole lot of difference but when we went to Japan, Lilith held it for almost 20 hours. Luna didn't.. red face

Edited by author Thu Feb 4, '10 6:36am PST

[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Thu Feb 4, '10 8:05am PST 
Yes, it is more common for small breed dogs to need more frequent potty trips. This is worse when they're younger, and generally improves as they mature, but some small dogs always need more frequent pottying.

At night, or when he's crated while you're out, he's mostly sleeping, and won't be drinking water or will be drinking less water, and so won't feel the urge as often. Also being crated will help signal his brain that he needs to hold it because pottying isn't an option.
[notify]

Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Thu Feb 4, '10 9:05am PST 
I think that even as adults, given their smaller bladders, they need to go more often. I know that when I am home all day, I let Tucker & Phoebe out several times during the day, even if they don't ask to go out. But even if they didn't ask to go out, they almost always will urinate when let out. Yet they are completely capable of holding it through a workday when I am gone seven or eight hours, and also through the night for roughly the same amount of time. The way I think of it is - I can "hold it" for many hours as well, but that doesn't mean it is necessarily comfortable for me to do so.
[notify]
Ch. Ali, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Thu Feb 4, '10 9:11am PST 
I don't find any difference in the holding time for my toy poodles vs my labradors... don't forget, even with a small bladder they are producing way less urine so size really is irrevelent. My guys all hang out in the house from 7:30 until 5 pm with no problems, two of the boys (neutered) will mark a bit when I am home but if I'm not there they don't do it.
However, IF I am home they all insist on going out every three or four hours.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Thu Feb 4, '10 9:32am PST 
Thanks for all the responses!! smile

I don't have a problem taking him out that often of course, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I should be overly concerned about.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Feb 5, '10 5:43am PST 
We all like to go out about every 4 hours or more often. We go out just about every night between midnight and two am. (Depending on how hard it is to wake our person up)

We will occasionally sleep through the night, but not often. Auda is the only member of our pack under 25 pounds, the rest of us range between 40 and 90 pounds and wouldn't be considered small dogs by any stretch of the imagination.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Fri Feb 5, '10 9:19am PST 
Thanks smile

Kit is my first dog of my own, so I wasn't sure really what was normal. My family had a cocker spaniel, and she seemed to ask to go out a lot less often than Kit does. But then again, I could just have thought that it wasn't that often because all we had to do with her was open the door and let her out into the yard - no big deal. With Kit, I have to take him out on his leash and walk him since we don't have a yard.

At least Kit sleeps through the night. We stay up late though, so I usually take him out around midnight or 1 for his last bathroom break before bed, and then we go for our morning walk first thing in the morning.
[notify]
nina

little- dog big- life

Barked: Fri Feb 5, '10 9:55am PST 
i never deal with 'hold it' because i squeak at the door and get let out, but i think peeing 'by the door' means a lack of awareness and training as far as alerting the need to go.
its quite different than an 'accident' isn't it?
its right next to the door saying 'hurry let me out'.
well, maybe you should ask a few moments earlier so people have a chance to respond to your needs?
wave
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Fri Feb 5, '10 11:15am PST 
Haha I know right?
Kit was so hard to bathroom train! His breeder had him paper trained before I got him, but apparently to him rugs and blankets looked the same as paper confused

Finally now, he at least goes over to the door and asks to go out. We have a bell hanging from the door knob and he rings the bell when he wants to go out. But the thing is, that we live on the top story in an apartment and I'm not always ready to rush him out right away - especially in this weather, I have to get my shoes and coat on and get his harness and leash on before we can go out. It's not like I can just open the door and let him out. Sometimes I just can't seem to get ready fast enough for him, so while I'm in the middle of getting ready to take him out he'll just pee on the floor. thinking

He's doing that less and less now though. Most of the time he'll stand by the door and wait for me to get ready and then go outside. Also now I pretty much know his schedule, so a lot of the times I'll just take him out before he even asks and then we don't have any problems.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2