GO!

Red and inflamed anus

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Midget- MiniBeast

Evil Genius in- training

Barked: Sun Jan 17, '10 4:28pm PST 
Midget had been constipated on Friday, to the point that he was yelping when he was pooping. on saturday, the constipation stopped to be replaced with straining with nothing coming out. Sometime saturday evening, he started actually passing diarrhea, but his anus is very red and swollen and he is getting feces on himself (each time he goes) for the first time.

We have been using baby wipes to clean him up but wonder if you guys can reccomend anything to help with swelling and obvious tenderness. can you suggest anything to help him not mess himself?

We have picked up some canned pumpkin to help with the diarrhea and have a vet appointment on tuesday.
[notify]
Hoover SDIT

you call this- work?!

Barked: Sun Jan 17, '10 4:50pm PST 
Could he have an obstruction? Like could he have eaten something that is stuck in there now and can't get out? If it is just diarrhea then it may not be this, but if there is any vomiting, especially if accompanied by a loss of appetite/interest in food, I would probably go in on emergency because you could be dealing with something that can't wait until Tuesday frown

On the other hand pumpkin should help firm the stools. Our lab Juniper used to have massive bouts of diarrhea and would get to where he was straining really hard to go and nothing would come out. This was when he was on really poor quality food (Purina One and IAMS) that I am pretty sure he was having allergy issues with (most likely to corn). Could it be what you are feeding that is causing the diarrhea?

To help keep him from messing himself, you could feed plain boiled white rice for a couple of days (no kibble). This always helped Juniper's painful diarrhea episodes, but you don't need to do it for more than about a day and a half before you start (slowly) adding kibble back in. If you have any metronidazole lying around you can give him that and it will stop the diarrhea almost instantaneously, but most people don't just have some lying around (I work with GDF and keep it on hand in case we have a pup that needs it so we don't have to buy from the vet). Sorry I can't be of more help!
[notify]
Mazzy

S-S-S-SQUIRREEEL- LLL!!!!

Barked: Sun Jan 17, '10 5:39pm PST 
Dogs sometimes get iswollen/impacted anal glands. If that is the case, it's an easy fix and your vet will have the pup back to 'new' with just draining it. It hasn't happened to Mazzy yet, but from what the vet techs at work tell me it is very common. I hope that's all it is and I wish you and the pup the best of luck on Tuesday.
[notify]

Ugmo

Stop puppy- mills!

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 5:30am PST 
You can use Desitin or animax ointment until your vet appointment to help ease the pain.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 6:56am PST 
I think he needs a vet appointment. We've had this occur before with one of the cats. They made sure she hadn't eaten anything and been blocked, and gave her anti-inflammatories to make her more comfortable until it healed. Has he eaten any odd foods lately that could have constipated him? It's not uncommon to have diarrhea after being constipated, and his anus being inflammed would be normal as well. I don't *think* he would have poo'ed at all if it was a blockage.

P.S. The anal gland suggestion was a good one too, I'd get it checked out just in casel
[notify]