GO!

ester-c

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Nate

he's our angel- :)

Barked: Thu Jan 14, '10 1:49am PST 
i give my boys ester-c mixed in with their home cooked diet. i read some posts stating that too much vit. c can be damagaing & that dogs produce their own vit. c...should i stop the ester-c?
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Thu Jan 14, '10 7:20am PST 
It depends how much you give. Most vitamin C is flushed out with the kidneys. The problem to me is if this can damage the kidneys at all. Anyway though, from what I read if your dog is sick, injured or under stress, you can (and should) give high amounts of C. Ester C is good for joints and best absorbed (plus I read something about it not as likely to harm the kidneys). I give small amounts every week to be safe. I've searched a lot and I can't find anywhere on the internet that gives a number for the amount of C to give by a dog's weight. I've read just unscientific suggestions all from 50 to 500 mg and higher. I stick around 25-50 mg but it's not based on science, just on caution.

"Dose is also controversial. There are references that begin to cite harmful effects at doses over 500mg/day and there are references in which people tout the benefits of doses much higher than that. Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin and unlikely to be much of a problem except in massive doses but it seems reasonable to stick to the 500mg/day region to me. In young, fast growing breeds it seems more important to stick to the lower dosage as there is some evidence that excessive Vitamin C may contribute to hypertrophic osteodystrophy, although even that is controversial. The dose is not weight dependent, so as far as I know it is the same for dogs as for cats. " (Mike Richards, DVM; 4/27/99; www.vetinfo.com)

Edited by author Thu Jan 14, '10 7:24am PST

[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Thu Jan 14, '10 8:42pm PST 
Unless your dog is injured or very sick I wouldn't supplement any. A dogs' body makes its own vitamin C, and yes it can do damage to the liver and kidneys if too much is given and if it's given on a regular basis. If the body becomes dependent on the supplementation, it will stop producing it's own and then you HAVE to supplement the diet with vitamin C or the dog will likely become very ill. Here is an excellent article on supplementing vitamin C in a dog's diet:

http://k9joy.com/dogarticles/dogfood01vitaminC.pdf

Edited by author Thu Jan 14, '10 8:44pm PST

[notify]

Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Thu Jan 14, '10 9:26pm PST 
Daddy, that's one of my concerns too, that supplementing with ester C may alter how the dog's liver makes it on it's own, but if you type in a google search for "ester c hip dysplasia dogs" there's so much info about the benefits of C....maybe it should be only given to dogs prone to hip dyplasia or arthritis (well.. arthritis would be every dog...) Maybe just hip dysplasia then?
[notify]
Nate

Barked: Thu Jan 14, '10 11:53pm PST 
thanks for the input jessica. daddy, thanks for the link...as of today no more ester-c tabs for the boys. along with ester-c i was giving the boys vitamin e tabs, cran-max tabs, fish oils tabs, ground egg shells & nupro supplement...should i be discontinuing the vitamin e as well as the cran-max?? i was only giving the cran-max as pre-caution as i read that some dogs get bladder infections on ester-c. i add a cranberry blueberry mix to their meals daily anyways.
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Fri Jan 15, '10 7:37am PST 
Nate imho I don't think you should take the dogs off ester c just because of one website, k9joy has a lot of opinions that I haven't been able to find anywhere else on the internet. But that's just my opinion too which some of are rare things sometimes also!!

I feel comfortable supplementing ester c on and on again-off again schedule, meaning maybe for 2 weeks in a row, then no ester c for 3 weeks.

But glucosamine for prevention against arthritis and HD and other joint problems is definately agreed everywhere to be safe, unlike ester c. So maybe that's a route you want to switch to.

just fyi here's some articles that are pro ester C
http://www.schraderhausk9.com/vitamin-c_miracle_cure_for_hd.htm
http://www.yourdoghealth.com/dog_ester-c_study.htm
http://labradornet.com/ddyspla.html

Just noting most of the studies pro ester C are mainly about HD. So if a dog is very prone to it, it's something where the benefits might outweigh the risks.

Edited by author Fri Jan 15, '10 7:41am PST

[notify]
Daddy

Barked: Fri Jan 15, '10 11:53am PST 
The author of the K9 Joy article has a Ph. D in chemistry and has worked with holistic veterinarians for years, I don't think he's just blowing it out his ear. If it was just an "opinion" article and this guy didn't have anything to back up this knowledge, I wouldn't believe a word of it. There are further studies that show supplementing a healthy dog who isn't suffering from any injuries or serious illness' diet with vitamin C can have negative effects when done regularly. The US Government National Research Council's publication, Nutrient Requirements of Dogs - Revised 1985, apparently cites 24 different studies regarding dogs and vitamin C supplementation. The National Research Council decided that based on conclusions of the studies, vitamin C should not be added to a dog's diet.

The main point here is that it isn't probably a good idea to supplement a HEALTHY dogs' diet with vitamin C, but it may be fine in less than 500 mg per day amounts for dogs suffering from illness or injury.
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Fri Jan 15, '10 12:02pm PST 
I know, and I like some of K9joy's articles, but remember that some PhDs also think science diet is a great food and write articles for that too. Not that K9joy has. Well what I read for ester c makes sense to me, so do the dangers. The main valid opposing stance that I read was what you said about a dog's body not producing it's own vitamin C if it's supplemented, which is a big concern. Since HD is so debilitating and painful I thought maybe the risks were worth it, just to me. I thought it was really interesting to read that HD might be from vitamin C deficiency.
[notify]
Nate

Barked: Fri Jan 15, '10 5:09pm PST 
thnaks for the input daddy & jessica. i will check out the links you posted jessica...thanks!
[notify]
Daddy

Barked: Sun Jan 17, '10 12:51pm PST 
If your dog is suffering hip dysplasia it may help to give some extra vitamin C, but definitely be careful not to go over 500 mg per day. Sorry, I somehow missed the part about HD red face.

Edited by author Sun Jan 17, '10 12:52pm PST

[notify]