GO!

Tips to Help Your Dog Live Longer

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Zoey (1990 ~ 2010)

R.I.P. Zoey

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 12:28am PST 
Zoey passed away New Year's day. She would have been 20-years-old in March. She was a very healthy dog and passed away due to old age. I can't promise anything, but these are the things I did for Zoey.

1. Give Glucosamine HCI and L-Ergothioneine.

2. Use natural flea and tick products, such as diatomaceous earth, brewer's yeast, and flea combs.

3. When making dog biscuits, use organic rye flour, instead of bleached white flour.

4. Supplement your dog's diet with natural calcium from seaweed vegetative origin, IP-6 and Inositol, and Resveratrol.

5. Rotate your dog's diet with grain-free food, the main ingredients being chicken meal, salmon meal, and lamb meal.

6. Use boiled chicken liver as treats.

7. Give fresh boiled salmon with your dog's regular kibble at least once a week.

8. Give Ascorbic Acid, a Glucosamine Complex, and USDA approved Bovine Bonemeal.

9. Every now and then add some boiled turkey to your dog's regular diet.

10. Give Black atractylodes rhizome to prevent and control allergies.

I can't promise anything, but these are the things I did and Zoey lived to be almost 20 years old. I don't know what breed she was. Her mother was a mutt that belonged to neighbor of mine, father unknown. Just trying to help!
[notify]
Zoey (1990 ~ 2010)

R.I.P. Zoey

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 12:39am PST 
I also wanted to add that I always kept Zoey's diet fairly strict with certain protein, fat, etc. This is what her diet consisted of:

11.5% ~ 13.0% Protein

6.0% ~ 8.0% Fat

2.0% ~ 3.0% Fiber

68.0% Moisture
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 6:09am PST 
Uh..I have many problems with your suggestions of plant based supplements. But the problem I can speak knowingly about is the bovine bone meal. As a raw feeder, bovine bone meals are heavy with lead and shouldn't be used unless you absolutely need to supplement a homecooked diet with it for the calcium.
[notify]

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 6:29am PST 
Thanks for the nutrition tips. How about exercise, play and home life?

What a lucky lucky girl she was. Thank you for sharing with us.

Jessica there are many grades of bone meal. Some are for garden use, some are human supplements and are just fine to give to dogs as needed to supplement a home cooked diet.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 6:37am PST 
Good food, medical care, exercise, a fenced yard, training will all help your dog live longer.
[notify]
Vanna

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 7:05am PST 
These are good tips! Nutrition is hugely important for humans and our best friends! Thansk for posting!

Vanna
World's Biggest Dog
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 8:20am PST 
I hope everyone does their research before they take the advice of anyone here though for supplementing their dog.

Edited by author Mon Jan 11, '10 8:26am PST

[notify]
Peter Parker

It's good to be- the King!

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 9:35am PST 
Good Tips and what a lucky dog to live so many years!!cheercheercheercheer
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 10:04am PST 
hello it's delilah. the photos of the dogs on her profile are stolen, just like all the other false profiles that some have been deleted by dogster HQ already. I'd never follow this dogster's advice without researching it from other sources first, since she has a track record of giving out dangerous suggestions on dogster.
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 11:02am PST 
If this is a legitimate profile than I'm sorry your dog passed. I also hate to be a wet blanket, but a few of these things on the list stuck out and I have to step in.

2. Brewer's yeast can be fine in moderation, but it shoudl NOT be used as a flea preventative, because I found out the amount you need to use to deter and prevent fleas can cause some serious problems. I learned this the hard way, $3 of brewer's yeast cost me over $300 in veterinary bills to make up for the yeast infection it caused because I was trying to use it as a natural flea preventative. Daddy was quite miserable with it as well. Also, for some dogs like Daddy who have serious flea bite dermatitis and who natural flea products do not work for (I've tried ones at home and store-bought ones), using a gentler formula like Frontline Plus only when needed is the lesser of two evils.

4. Why a plant source? Dogs digest nutrients better from quality animal-based sources than plant sources, and plant material has to be ground up for them to even digest.

5. While I do agree the main ingredient should be a meat meal, any meat meal that the dog is not allergic to is fine.

8. Dogs should NOT be supplemented with ascorbic acid unless they are recovering from a serious injury or illness. Regular supplementation of a dog's diet with vitamin c or any form of it can cause problems with the liver and kidneys (even causing them to shut down in worst case scenarios). Dogs' bodies produce their own vitamin C.

As others have stated, bovine bone meal can be high in lead content. A better source might be finely ground egg shell powder.

Edited by author Mon Jan 11, '10 11:02am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2