GO!

Top ten worst breeds with health problems.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Sergeant- Tank

Top dog - American- Bulldog!

Barked: Thu Jan 7, '10 6:08pm PST 
I'm looking to get a list of the top ten breeds you can think of that have the worst health problems. Only thing is try to make it common breeds that people other than dogsters might know. My list is - (not necessarily in that order)

1. English Bulldogs
2. German Shephards
3. Cavalier Charles Spaniels
4. Dachshunds
5. Pugs
6. Chihuahuas
7. Labs
8. Basset Hounds
9.Mastiffs n Great Danes
10.All Teacups

Thank you and have fun, its more about what you think not trying to prove a point.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Thu Jan 7, '10 6:14pm PST 
I'd take out teacups, since that's not a breed.

Perhaps I'd add the Dalmation. Personally although the GSD is considered a mess, I don't think that the worst of their health problems are all that bad - poor hips, poor elbows, etc are pretty common problems to all larger dogs, and certainly isn't as disastrous as afflictions that are common to, say, CKCS.

I'd take out Chis, I think they're pretty sturdy dogs, and replace with French Bulldogs.

Edited by author Thu Jan 7, '10 6:15pm PST

[notify]
Cooper- 1999-March- 13th, 2010

Hangin' with Mr.- Cooper

Barked: Thu Jan 7, '10 6:25pm PST 
Put in Dobes, as well.
[notify]

Sergeant- Tank

Barked: Thu Jan 7, '10 6:32pm PST 
I was going to put in Dobermans, but actually forgot making the listred face. As for Teacups, I was referring to the miniaturized breeds of all sorts, the smaller they get the worse they get. I was referring to the tiny ones as a whole. Chi's I would assume were pretty bad, although never owning a Chi and hearing about them I thought they deserved the list. shrugMy opinion on GSD refers to the way they were bred to give them the show stance. Caused all sorts of problems for their hips that were unnecessary and I would personally rather get a GSD from a breeder who didn't breed to AKC standards because of that.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Thu Jan 7, '10 6:46pm PST 
Well, I should preface by saying I answered the question that was more like: that all things equal, what breeds have the potential or carry the worst genetic problems? All breeds that are overbred like many of the smaller toy breeds have problems that are very common to the poorly bred ones, obviously, but Chis are actually pretty hardy little dogs that as a breed doesn't have a whole lot of problems when bred right.

But other pups even if well bred, like CKCS, really can't escape from what is present in their genetic pool, nor really, can Dals.
[notify]
Rudy

Rudy sin- barreras

Barked: Thu Jan 7, '10 6:49pm PST 
Golden Retrievers maybe?
[notify]
Sergeant- Tank

Barked: Thu Jan 7, '10 6:51pm PST 
Lilith, that is specifically what I'm looking for! laugh out loud The breeds that as a whole will most likely end up having trouble in the long run, even from good breeders. So if you don't mind, can I get a little insight on Dalmations, cause I'm actually not quite sure whats bad about them... Which is sad cause I take pride in trying to know most breeds but I heard they just get aggressive as they get older...
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Thu Jan 7, '10 7:02pm PST 
Some stats from the DCOA (Dal Club of America):

"It is estimated that approximately 12 % of the breed is deaf. No Dalmatian bloodline is free from deafness. Even that dogs that hear normally can produce deaf puppies."

"Dalmatians are the only breed of dogs known since 1938 to have an inborn defect of urine production leading to urate/purine urinary stone disease. All Dalmatians are born with the defect."

"Despite vet databases of almost 100,000 stone forming dogs after 20 years, including thousands of Dalmatians, little medical information is known how many Dals are forming stones also in their kidneys and upper renal structures…not just in their bladders and urethras."
[notify]
Sergeant- Tank

Barked: Thu Jan 7, '10 7:06pm PST 
Awesome Lilith, great info. And info I did not know. As for Goldens, I'm not sure they have many problems of the breed that aren't common among many others. Good breeders tend to breed out the genetic problems and most BYBs and puppy mills ( at least in my area) don't pick goldens as a high profit margin.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Thu Jan 7, '10 7:08pm PST 
I feel like there're so many factors and different problems to consider. I mean, in a way I feel like Irish Wolfhounds and Dogue de Bordeaux should be listed too .. their life spans are so, so short and so often cut short by cancer. I don't know for sure if cancer is hereditary or what, but as much as I love the wolfhounds, I don't think I could deal with that.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7