GO!

Weeping eye

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Cyan

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 5:13pm PST 
My year old poodle has always had a bit of a weeping eye that I and the vet suspect to be enviromental allergies. In recent days it has been getting worse. Like most of the US right now it has been getting colder here. Even though my dogs live inside, going out only to potty, could the cold be responsible for the increase? If so, is there anything I can do about it?
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Thu Jan 7, '10 6:00am PST 
If it is an enviromental allergy that can mean anything in the Poodles enviroment ie anything outside or inside. Since it is colder than usual recently and you state the poodle is really only inside (except for walks) and its getting worse.......I would look at what has changed inside. Do you have forced air heat? Is it on more than usual? Have you been burning candles? Did you have holiday decorations? New plants? A tree? Wreath? These are all things that could make an allergy worse.

On the other hand-This new weepiness could be not related to the old weepiness at all and actually the begining of something else. If the discharge changes color, the white area around the eye gets red or swollen looking, the discharge gets significantly worse, the pet starts pawing at the eye or rubbing their face more then I would suggest a trip to the vet. Eye issues can be very dangerous is ignored.

I hope this helps - good luck
[notify]
Max (aka- Sebastian)

Lovin Life

Barked: Thu Jan 7, '10 6:16am PST 
What type of food do you feed? Have you looked into a possible food allergy?
Our first mini schnauzer we had was Tweeker, he always had runny eyes, the vet told us it was probably an enviromental allergy and to just keep the area clean.
We feed Tweeker Beniful then switched him to Purina Senior. He had the weepy eyes the whole time we had him( he was between 5-7yrs when adopted died at about 11-13yrs). After he passed away we adopted Max, I resarched foods and found out what I had feed Tweeker was some of the worst food I could have fed him, I didn't know better.
Max's foster mom said he had running eyes, I told her I had planned on feeding him Blue Buffalo so she did the switch for me and by the time he finally came home to us, his running eye had stopped.
[notify]

Cyan

Barked: Thu Jan 7, '10 8:31pm PST 
Leah: The Christmas tree. Over the summer we had a pipe burst in storage and get on our fake tree in storage. The lights were ruined, but the tree seemed fine. Since the tree is stored elsewhere, it could have brought anything into the house. I had to cut the lights off and had that tree turning and shaking all over the living room.

It does seem to be clearing back up, now. Thanks!

Max: My dogs get Evo dry food and Evanger's 100% meat line of canned foods.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Fri Jan 8, '10 6:58am PST 
Ah Ha!! Those dasterdly Trees!! winkwink Ok well I am glad it is clearing up and hopefully it was just that!
[notify]