GO!

Can You Use Human Conditioner on Dog?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Other posts by this user

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 2:26am PST 
I ran out of dog conditioner and don't think I can get to the pet store until next week. However, Kylie needs a bath. She has gotten very dirty and stinks. I always use conditioner on her because if I don't she fluffs up like a poodle and her fur is hard. I was wondering if it was okay to use my hydrating conditioner on her. I have regular dog shampoo to use on her, but she needs the conditioner. I am always very careful not to get it in her eyes.
[notify]
Max (aka- Sebastian)

Lovin Life

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 6:42am PST 
I would think it would be fine, especially just once. When we had a lab/pit mix, our vet then told us human shampoo and conditioners would be fine to use on him. Since then I have read that human shampoos can be harsh due to different ph balance, but I've never read anything about conditioner.
If it were me, I would use the human conditioner since it's what you have.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 10:14am PST 
I found a pekingese over a month ago. He had long fur with an undercoat. I gave him a bath with dog shampoo and used my conditioner on him. I did not notice any adverse affects on his coat. He was very soft afterwards and people kept commenting on his coat.

When I took him to a no kill shelter they were surprised he was dumped because of his coat condition. It was my bathing!

Get some dog conditioner when you have time, but using a human conditioner on his once wont hurt. This is the case especially if your dog is not bathed often, like less than once a month.
[notify]

Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 10:59am PST 
Once would be fine....I have a friend that always uses head and shoulders on her dog!
[notify]
Bella

I'm the baby- gotta love me

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 11:04am PST 
I've wondered about this myself. I was thinking of using my kids baby shampoo for Bella.
[notify]
Sierra

Running- ridiculously- fast is my- favorite

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 11:13am PST 
Go for it. We use both shampoo and conditioner too, since it makes her fur softer. Though I don't use human shampoo on her (I've read about the pH too) , I have used my conditioner about 3-4 times over the past 3 years. As long as you don't start using it all the time, its no biggie. Just rinse well wink
[notify]
Lucy

is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 11:47am PST 
Many vets/vet techs recommend baby shampoo for animals because its easy on the eyes if it gets in there. I wouldn't worry about the coat moreso than getting in their sensitive areas.
[notify]
Kirby Joe

Kirby

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 7:57pm PST 
Well--here goes--I will probably get some negative comments for this one. All my dogs get a baby shampoo face wash very often. On the yorkie it helps to keep the tears down on his coat under his eyes. The yorkie gets an aussie mega bath with the 3 minute miracle conditioner all the time. I've done this since I got him 5 years ago. I love the smell for him and it does well on his coat. Remembr that yorkies do not have an undercoat. His hair touches the ground and has never been cut. I get comments all the time as to how soft he is and the vet's office tells me he is the only yorkie that they see that does not have the first matting of their hair. I comb and brush him about every 3 days, but always get comments from the vet's office that I must take lots of time up daily with his grooming as his hair is so healthy. The long haired dachshund gets aussie mega shampoo and conditioner about half the time and regular dog shampoo and conditioner the rest. I do notice that the PH must be off for him to use regular human products all the time--he just shines and has a healthier coat using it only half the time. The boxer gets dog shampoo most of the time and just for special occasions, she gets the aussie. When we are expecting lots of company is the few time she gets human shampoo, as people comment on how good my dogs smell. It has worked well for me on my dogs and I do not even use the aussie on myself--just an old habit that has been hard to break.
[notify]
Cyan

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 8:08pm PST 
I'm a show handler and use human conditioner on my poodles in a pinch. That said, poodles have hair, not fur. But I don't think it can hurt either way.
[notify]
Zoey

Trouble with a- capital "T"

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 9:13pm PST 
Well I'm not sure about dogs, but we wash horses in baby shampoo and conditioner all the time and then "Mane n Tail" that brand you see in the store? That was originally made for horses and I guess eventually marketed to people haha.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2