GO!

Licking tail raw?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Banjo

Little rascal

Barked: Wed Dec 30, '09 12:46pm PST 
Yesterday I noticed Banjo licking his tail alot while he was outside. When I let him inside he was licking it again so I look and his tail looks red and raw but there is stil hair. It's only a small part on his tail a little bigger than a quarter. I dont really know what has caused it. Right now I really cant afford to take him to the vet.

We do have alot of grass seeds around at the moment, do you think one might have gone into his skin? I check him for grass seeds everyday but he hates staying still so it's very hard.
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Wed Dec 30, '09 12:53pm PST 
I thought maybe an insect bite when you said this. Do you have many bees, biting ants or spiders?
[notify]
Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Wed Dec 30, '09 1:24pm PST 
Sounds like a hot spot. A typical allergic reaction to contact allergen. If he can reach it - and he can - he will continue to work on it until it is bigger and smelly with infection. You have no choice but to call the Vet for an appointment.

Fence the grass seeded area so he can't touch it, it's likely the source of the problem.
[notify]

Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Thu Dec 31, '09 4:28pm PST 
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to agree with Snickers on this one. You might be able to just spray some of the bitter spray on it if you caught it early, but he'll likely need an appointment.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Dec 31, '09 6:24pm PST 
Taking him to the vet is the best plan. However if you just can’t afford to do that there is a home remedy that my family has used successfully.

Clip/shave the hair away from the spot; wash it well with soap and water. Get a strong iodine solution, such as is used for treating foals navels; (Feed store/tack shop)put a good coating of the iodine on the spot.

BE AWARE that naval Iodine is very TOXIC; there will be a skull and crossbones on the label of the bottle.

The iodine will sting, keep Banjo on a leash and hold his collar. You must not allow him to touch or lick the iodine spot. After a minute or two, wash the iodine off with soapy water and treat the spot with something like hydrogen peroxide and dry it well.

This treatment will often dry up and cure a hot spot. But, you could hurt your dog badly if he got away from you and licked the spot before you get the iodine off. It is risky, but is better than doing nothing.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Fri Jan 1, '10 7:59am PST 
Do you know how to express his anal glands?

I always recomend a vet visit first as it is very hard to get info over the internet!

However lots of small dogs will lick the base of their tails raw when their anal glands are impacted. Expressing them may reduce the itchyness which may help heal the tail rawness. AG impaction Often times your local vet will do a tech appointment to have these expressed so you could avoid a huge vet visit - also your local groomers may be able to assist as well!
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Fri Jan 1, '10 11:30am PST 
I don't think it's a good thing to do what Fritz suggested with Banjo's fear aggression and trust problems.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Jan 1, '10 1:49pm PST 
Hey Jessica, I don't think it is a good thing to do what I suggested with or without fear issues. I would only try to treat a hot spot as I suggested if the dog was unable to go to the vet. Hot spots get really nasty quick if not treated. If Banjo can go to the vet in the next day or two, I would trim the fur, wash with soap and water and leave it alone.

My home remedy is only a last resort if one can't go to the vet. Sometimes there isn’t a vet and/or one doesn’t have the money.

It works well, but is risky and you have to be really careful.
[notify]