GO!

Dog with chipped canine tooth

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Kodi

Barked: Wed Dec 23, '09 11:58am PST 
I just noticed my 1 year old Norwegian Elkhound has a chipped tooth. He was at daycare yesterday and could possibly have gotten it there. They told me he was having behavior problems when I picked him up. He was barking in the other dogs faces that wouldn't play . When I got him home he didn't really want to eat and when he did it was very gingerly. Also wouldn't drink water(unusual for him after daycare). Going to the vet at 3.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Dec 23, '09 4:28pm PST 
I had a chipped canine tooth too. I stopped eating well and hung my tongue over the tooth anytime I had my mouth open. The vet took it out a few days later and I was as good as new in a week. It turned out that my tooth was cracked as well as broken off.

I am really glad we took care of the tooth before it became abscessed and horribly painful.
[notify]
Sam

Is it time for- my nap yet?

Barked: Thu Dec 24, '09 6:55pm PST 
Get it checked by a vet. Sam has a chipped canine, but it wasn't bad, and didn't get into the pulpy part of the tooth, so he was fine. However, it seems like you might be in some pain or discomfort, so better to get it checked asap. Better than waiting, as the other poster already said, and letting it abcess.

Hope you're feeling better!
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Dec 25, '09 9:02am PST 
Sam is right. Not all chipped teeth have to come out, but if you see signs of pain or start having issues eating it needs to be looked at.

Our vet told us that behavior is the only way to diagnose if a tooth needs to come out or not. He left the choice to my person and she told them to take the tooth.

I am really glad she did, once it was out I started eating a lot better. When we looked at my tooth, we saw that it was broken into the pulp cavity and cracked down to the root.

Good Luck
[notify]
Kodi

Barked: Mon Dec 28, '09 6:49pm PST 
Took Kodi to the dog dentist and the discovered 2 of his incisors were chipped also. He thinks he got it chewing on a fence or kennel at daycare. They had to do blood work, x-rays and put caps on them $1436. Ouch!
[notify]
holly

THROW THAT- BALL!!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 29, '09 4:03am PST 
Wow that was traumatic for you Kodi and the wallet! I hope all is better now.
[notify]