GO!

Emergency! please help, dogs eye is bleeding!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Pippin

Barked: Sun Dec 13, '09 4:53pm PST 
I have a bad situation going on right now and i could really use some advice. a little earlier today my dog pipin was playing with one of our cats when suddenly scooter swatted at pipin causing him to yelp. when my boyfriend saw pipin he noticed blood on his paw which was from his eye. we've cleaned his eye and cant seem to see any scratches around the eye. his eye is a little swollen and was bleeding. the white of his eye is blood shot but we can not see any visible scratches done to his eye.

as far as his behavior hes actually acting completely normal and is even chasing his tail as i type this which leaves me confused. I could use any advice anyone could give me. i am extremely broke right now and cannot afford a vet unless this is a serious health related matter. if you could just let me know what i should keep an eye on as far as swelling, behavior, etc. i appreciate it.

thank you!
[notify]
Buddy

I'll watch that- shake for ya

Barked: Sun Dec 13, '09 5:04pm PST 
Although he might of just snagged a little skin near and or around the eye, IMO I would be concerned about the cornea of the eye. If that got scratched and it goes un-noticed or untreated for that matter, it can make matters much worse. Eye injuries can snowball into big problems.

You could always call the vet tell them what happened, ask for an estimate on how much the exam would be and a possible eye stain could cost (If he can't tell with the otoscope alone) Eye ointment/antibiotics you could bet on being 20 bucks somewhere in there.
[notify]
Winnie Lam

Squeaker- Killer...Qu'est-- ce que c'est!

Barked: Sun Dec 13, '09 5:06pm PST 
Pipin, the biggest concern right now would be a corneal scratch or worse, ulcer. Even though you can't see any scratches or holes, there may be injury to the cornea which will need to be visualized with a special stain called fluorescein. IF there is injury to the cornea, it will need to be treated with ophthalmic antibiotics so that it doesn't become infected while it heals. Untreated scratches or ulcers may progress and worse case scenario would be eyeball rupture (but mind you, that is really, really worse case scenario).

I would have your momma watch for squinting, pain, yellow/green discharge from the eye. Since you don't seem to be bothered by it, this sounds like it is something that can wait (no need for the e-vet). Your momma might want to look around the eyelids and surrounding area for scratches or other wounds, which should be cleaned carefully (warm water, no hydrogen peroxide or soaps that may get into and irritate the eye) and Polysporin (but not the kind with pain reliever in it) applied to prevent infection. Nonetheless, a visit to your vet would be recommended to make sure there hasn't been injury to the cornea or other associated structures. You may want to look into local humane societies if finances are an issue; some jurisdictions provide discounted vet services for those facing financial hardship.

We wish you luck and a speedy recovery.
[notify]

Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Sun Dec 13, '09 5:11pm PST 
Really it is cheaper in the long run to see a vet now. It may be not be the cornea scratched, but what if? Since this is a new puppy, you probably should look at insurance plans maybe, because as you're learning, dogs are not cheap! Maybe a preventative step would be getting a cat tree if you don't have one, so the cats can get away from your pom if they want instead of scratching.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Sun Dec 13, '09 5:11pm PST 
Pipin - not to freak you out but eyes are one of the most dangerous things to ignore - check out Cinamon post only a couple down from here - a missed corneal ulcer caused a rupture eye and emergency removal was necc. - It will cost you much less money and much less pain for your dog to see a vet ASAP - you would be able to wait until tom to see your regular vet instead of an ER but I really wouldn't wait any longer!
Good Luck!

ETA: not to be rude but it is irresponsible to get a new puppy without the finacial means to care for it - Dogs tend to be the most expensive at the begining and the ends of their lives - I sure hope you have enough money to properly prepare this dog for adulthood with the proper protective vaccinations and puppy checkups as well as spaying. As you have discovered puppies can have accidents that require attention and money at a moments notie - it would be best to look into insurance or a savings plan to avoid having to neglect care due to finicial constraints - sorry but it is a very big pet peeve of mine when people acquire young dogs without saving a proper amount of "start up" money to offset the initial care required. Please be more responsible next time.

Edited by author Sun Dec 13, '09 5:17pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 13, '09 5:35pm PST 
Please take him to the vet right now, this is serious and can potentially lead to permanent blindness or brain injury. Tell them your situation, and perhaps you can deal with payment later. I'm sure they'd be sympathetic towards you.

I am speaking as a blind person. I've had several corneal transplants throughout my infanthood. My parents told me that once when I was 2, I wouldn't stop screaming my head off after surgery, and this was very unusual, so my dad called the doctor on his cell in the middle of the night, and he rushed to the hospital, and got me into surgery right away, they went in, and found I'd had a bacterial infection. The doctor said that if they'd waited till the morning, the infection could've spread to my brain, and I'd most likely be dead.

So, get off of dogster right away and hurry to the e vet now.
[notify]
Bella

I Love to give- kisses and- snuggle!

Barked: Sun Dec 13, '09 5:50pm PST 
Sorry about your injury. My Lhasa I had got a scratch on his eye. I didn't notice at first until it was shut and running. He needed meds to heal and for infection. He did recover just fine but did need medicine. I know it's hard at Christmas with an added expense. I would call and talk to the Vet in the morning and see what he says. He most likely will want to look at the eye. With our Vet we have had for years. He will let you make payments. Good Luck.
[notify]
Tallulah

I pretty much- will rule the- universe.

Barked: Sun Dec 13, '09 6:32pm PST 
I agree with the others, find the money somehow and go to the vet. eye things are nothing to mess around with, and neither are cat scratches. the combo of the two = not good.
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Sun Dec 13, '09 6:41pm PST 
I can certainly understand financial hardship. If Care Credit isn't an option and you don't have another credit card to use, please borrow the money from someone. Eye injuries are serious partly because of how easily they can get infected, especially knowing the injury was caused by a cat (not to be mean to cats, but their scratches can be pretty nasty). I agree with the others who said that you probably don't need to rush to an e-vet, but I would see a vet in the morning. I would also call your local animal shelter or a rescue organization and explain the situation to them and ask for a referral to a low cost vet if they can't provide the service for you. Many rescue organizations will refer you to a vet willing to help with vet expenses during these tough times. I recently had to do that myself and believe me when I say I can definitely understand financial problems. My DH just went back to work last month and I was hospitalized (we don't have insurance) at the end of last month for 13 days. I just got out on the 8th. Let's just say that Christmas is nonexistant this year and I'm now behind on my car payment. I'm hoping to get back to work on Wednesday... I have 4 dogs and a cat. I'm praying they all stay healthy for the time being, people can say whatever they want. When I got my pups, DH and I were both working at excellent jobs, however, we've since lost our house, he's lost one job and just got started at another, we have no health insurance for ourselves and are facing some major medical bills. In these tought times, I would hope that at the least, people on Dogster would try to be understanding and not judge someone based upon their current financial situation. You don't know where they are coming from.
[notify]
Gucci

Just love- them!!!

Barked: Sun Dec 13, '09 6:56pm PST 
I don't always beat the "you must go to the vet" drum, but this happened to my maltese when my cat did the same exact thing. She caught his cornea which was hard for us to see but you know what it's like when you even just get something in your own eye it sooooo aggravating. He also continued to behave normal but he eventually needed an antibiotic and something for the irritation. Complications can arise such as ulsters. It can effect his vision. Good luck. This book is full of information on Natural remedies for dogs, http://www.healyourdognaturally.com/?hop=84profit but since time is of the essence with eye injuries you should at least call your vet. Good luck!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3