GO!

Natural remedy for eye infection?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Nov 22, '09 4:56am PST 
This is not about my dogs, its about a dog I have been helping. Its a minature poodle and the owner is elderly and sick . I paid for its grooming but I cant afford to pay for everything it needscry It seems to have an eye infection. It is red, swollen and the dog is rubbing it alot. I suspect it was like that before the grooming because when I look at the before picture I took, it seems to be squinting. Obviously if the owner couldnt afford the grooming, he cant afford the vet and I cant keep paying for a dog that isnt even mine cry Does anybody have any natural remedies for eye infection/irritation?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Nov 22, '09 5:29am PST 
Eyes are something that definitely need a vet!!! It could be a corneal abrasion, which definitely needs to be treated with an antibiotic and steroids, or it could be glaucoma, which is completely different and needs a different treatment. Eyes are extremely painful to the dog, it really does need to see a vet!!!!
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Nov 22, '09 5:31am PST 
I know Totocry I thought maybe it had just got shampoo in its eyes at the groomers yesterday afternoon, but it is still red and swollen todaycry
[notify]

Shellie - *RIP*

Oooh....Shiny!

Barked: Sun Nov 22, '09 6:17am PST 
If the eye is swollen and it wasn't before the grooming it could very well have shampoo in it's eye. When this happens where I work the groomer is responsible for the veterinary treatment. But depending on how swollen the eye is, the dog could have something like Glaucoma which can be very serious. You could try rinsing the eye a couple times with warm water.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Nov 22, '09 6:30am PST 
http://i49.tinypic.com/30cn7zs.jpg

This is before the groomer and when I look at it, it seems that one eye is smaller than the other.thinking
[notify]
Tallulah

I pretty much- will rule the- universe.

Barked: Sun Nov 22, '09 7:06am PST 
I cant tell from that picture, because of the hair over his eye.

Does this owner belong to a church or did he belong to some group like Lions that might help?

Here is the list of organizations that might help:

http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2009/10/27/help-with-vet-bill s/

Edited by author Sun Nov 22, '09 7:06am PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Nov 22, '09 4:43pm PST 
I dont think most of those groups would help a dog. At least not around herecry If it was shampoo in his eyes, wouldnt that clear up after a day or two?
[notify]
Tallulah

I pretty much- will rule the- universe.

Barked: Sun Nov 22, '09 7:38pm PST 
The link is a whole list of organizatons that help elderly and low income dog owners pay vet bills.

And the local ones might help if he was a former member and in need of the companionship. Stranger things have happened.

And I doubt its from shampoo in the eye at this point!
[notify]
Kirby Joe

Kirby

Barked: Sun Nov 22, '09 8:25pm PST 
I keep sterile normal saline in a pump spray bottle safe for the eyes of a contact lens user. You can get it at any drug store, Wal-Mart, Target, or grocery store. I get the preservitive free and use it on my dogs after shampoo. My vet says that is the best thing for anything in the eye, to help wash it away. It will not clear up an infection, but certainly does a good job after grooming or after my allergy sensitive Yorkie stays out in the golden rod for awhile. Make sure what you buy is saline, not any type of cleaner for contacts. I also use baby shampoo on my dogs faces and around their eyes as it is tear free and won't hurt their eyes. It keeps them from having the staining some dogs have and they don't mind the face and eye wash.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sun Nov 22, '09 8:32pm PST 
If it is infected it will need a trip to the vet, but if it's just irritated then some eye drops will help.

Brodie has seasonal allergies that bother his eyes and the vet suggested for me to get an eye lubricant for his eyes with methylcellulose as the main active ingredient. They really seem to help and are safe. I got the equate brand from walmart, it says gentle eye lubricant and was around 7.00.

Good luck.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2