GO!

Lump on the right side, by his ribs?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Taz

CAT?!? What- cat?!?

Barked: Sun Nov 15, '09 5:45pm PST 
I was playin with Tazzy and noticed a hard lump on his ride side, right next to his ribs. My mom had taken him to the store twice with her and both times she hit her brakes to hard and he fell from the back seat, could it be from that, or could it be something else? Im getting really worried, should I put ice on it? Do they do that for dogs? Im starting to wonder if I should take him to the vet tomorrow morning, or wait til Friday to see if it goes way.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sun Nov 15, '09 7:45pm PST 
Two possibilities: it could just be a hematoma (bruise) from the accident and will go away with time. Or it could be a growth of some kind, benign or malignant. In either case I'd say a quick vet check is in order. Failing that, keep an eye on it and see if it grows, if it does, rush to the vet!
[notify]
Taz

CAT?!? What- cat?!?

Barked: Sun Nov 15, '09 8:19pm PST 
I put ice on it and it seems to be getting smaller. Either way he is going to the vet, I love him to much to take that chance.
[notify]

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Mon Nov 16, '09 9:57am PST 
Missy has had exactly the same lump appear on the side of her ribs too. It's supposedly a hematoma and they disappear after a few weeks.

It may be an idea to get Taz a harness or something that can restrain him in the car.
[notify]
Greta Garbo

My Soul Mate - RIP, My Best- Friend

Barked: Mon Nov 16, '09 10:37am PST 
I would get it checked just to be sure if it doesn't go away. Greta had this and it turned out to be cancer, bone. It was really hard. She was about 7 or 8 when it appeared. Vet didn't do anything because it was pretty small and it didn't change for YEARS. When it did, it blew up fast and she was gone within a week frown That was almost 6 years after it formed in the first place though (she died when she was 14 / 15 ish (I never knew her exact age) Not to freak you out though, because there are other less scary things it can be!
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Mon Nov 16, '09 10:54am PST 
Missy my thoughts exactly...Taz needs some proper restraint in the car ie seatbelt or harness or tether to prevent this from happening again
Car safety is important for everyone including pups and in car injuries are on the rise now that more people travel/bring their pets with them. Be careful
[notify]
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Tue Nov 17, '09 2:12pm PST 
Ginger has a hard lump on her ribs too, about the the size of a big marble. I took her to the vet to check it out, they did a cytology and it turned out to just be full of fat. Totally harmless unless it grows too big and restricts her shoulder movement. What a relief! I thought she had cancer or something. The test wasn't expensive, they just took a sample with a needle and looked at it under the microscope. Get your lump tested for sure!
[notify]
Taz

CAT?!? What- cat?!?

Barked: Tue Nov 17, '09 3:49pm PST 
I took yalls advice and got him a doggy seatbelt, I think itll take him a few rides to get use to it, but I feel better with him being safesmile.
Hes going to the vet tomorrow just to be sure, he doesnt act like it bothers him, hes acting like he always does. Thank you so much for all the help!!
[notify]