GO!

Alternative to Benadryl

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Sophie, SD

Mommy is- thankful for ME!

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 7:54am PST 
Sophie has allergy issues, and we have changed her food. We are still trying to determine if allergy shots will be necessary. With Harley, we were able to avoid the shots and only use benadryl when the seasonal allergies get bad.

But, with Sophie, it seems that benadryl makes her sick. She doesn't handle it well at all. Is there an alternative to Benadryl?
[notify]
Toby

Got food?

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 9:40am PST 
I would call the vet if I were you. I give Toby Zyrtec because the Benadryl just doesn't work for him, but my vet said he could also take Claritin, but I would call your vet and ask what dosage would be for your dog.
[notify]
Zack

formerly The- Very Hungry- Puppy-pillar

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 10:56am PST 
Zack takes loratadine (Claritin). Your vet should be able to tell you what the correct dosage is. Zack gets 10 mg per day, but he is a lot older and quite a bit smaller than Sophie. I don't know if that makes a difference in the dosage or not.
[notify]

Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 11:05am PST 
I'd work with holistic alternatives before I'd use claritin long term. Remember claritin (or benadryl, or another allergy drug) just treats the symptoms. Maybe boosting the immune system and exposure to the allergies in small amounts is a slower but long lasting results.
[notify]
♠- Mickey- ♠

One by one The- squirrels steal- my sanity

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 1:04pm PST 
Does she have itchy paws?

Pogo suggested to me, through Flicka's Mom, to soak some chamomile tea bags in tepid water and pat the tea bags on the paws... I tried it last night, and it did seem to soothe my paws!cloud 9

Just gotta be sure not to leave the pup unattended so they don't eat the bag!laugh out loud
Sophie, SD

Mommy is- thankful for ME!

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 5:13pm PST 
Her paws don't itch, her whole body does. She also looses clumps of hair (though she never has bald spots). We are giving the food change (since the allergy test) time to work. If things don't improve by the New Year, we will likely have to do allergy shots, though I'd like to avoid it if possible. I just don't want to do that to her.
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 5:18pm PST 
Sophie on the raw forum a dogster just discussed why allergy shots are exacly the best thing! (well next to best thing, best thing would be just stopping the allergies in the first place)

This is a link to the thread if you read the posts by Josie, they might help:

clicky here
[notify]