GO!

How often do you clean your dog or dogs' bowl(s)?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Shortdog

short, dark, and- handsome

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 10:29am PST 
I don't really have a regular bowl-cleaning thing...just whenever I think of it...
I feed them raw eggs sometimes and raw hamburger...so I should probably clean the bowls more often.
But anyway, how often, if ever, do you clean your dog's bowl?
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 10:40am PST 
Well, my dogs just eat dry kibble w/fish oil and a few times a week I do add salmon/sardines/cottage cheese etc.
I probably put their bowls in the dishwasher 2 times a week.

I would def wash more if I was doing the raw diet.

I put their water bowls in the dishwasher every week to week and half or so.

Edited by author Mon Nov 9, '09 10:42am PST

[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 10:44am PST 
Bowls are important because a high bacteria bowl such as plastic or unwashed can cause a condition called canine acne. Cats can also get it called feline acne. It's a condition that usually never goes away once the animal gets it. I rinse my bowls with apple cider vinegar and a quick once over with a wash cloth after there's been food in them.
[notify]

Cookies 'n'- Creme- (1998-2011)

Heart of a lion,- soul of a lamb

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 10:46am PST 
Well, considering that I don't just pour the food in and say "okay, eat it" anymore (I put filtered water and mix garlic/yeast powder in, except when I'm really tired), I clean Cookie's bowl about once a week, more or less.

Edited by author Mon Nov 9, '09 10:47am PST

[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 10:49am PST 
Yeah and we use stainless steel bowls now as well for food
and ceramic for water.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 10:52am PST 
We have stainless steal bowls that we wash every time after they eat, although they prefer to drag the raw all over their play mats. confused

Our water bowl is a communal huge glass mixer bowl.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 11:09am PST 
We wash the water bowl with warm water and soap every time it runs dry and the food bowls after every meal.
[notify]
Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 11:28am PST 
I hardly ever use bowls to feed as I feed raw & they drag it all over the kitchen & closed in porch anyway...I do wash the water bowl 3 or 4 times a week.
[notify]
Stinky

*insert fart- noise*

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 11:51am PST 
We wash the bowls after every meal, and the water thing (the ones that hold a lot of water and fills the bowl when they drink it) when it runs out of water.

Stinky got that acne thing when I only washed it a few times a week, and the bf insisted they didn't need washing. I started washing the bowls after every meal and it did go away, Jessica. I've never heard that it won't go away... It did come back once, but it went away after I gave the bf a stern talking to about washing the food dishes regularly.
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 11:52am PST 
Since we've been on raw, I've been serving the food on paper plates on top of a towel, but just figured out over the weekend that cookie sheets on top of towels work better. When we were actually using bowls, they got washed after every use with hot, soapy water. Water bowl is similarly washed each time it needs to be refilled (about every 24 hours).
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3