GO!

vectra 3D warning

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 8:12am PST 
I just got off the phone with a different vet to buy frontline. My vet just sells vectra 3D. I explained my dog got a chemical burn from the vectra and the woman on the phone exclaimed "Oh we just had a client with that, and have had 7 other cases. One was so severe it had drilled a hole in the dog's back" THAT IS HORRIBLE that this vectra is even on the market. I hate chemicals but at least frontline has none of those stories I heard.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 11:14am PST 
Our vet tried Vectra when it first came out over a year ago. None of us techs would even touch it after one application, so the vet scrapped the whole product. We didn't like it because it was smelly, greasy, and way too much liquid. I have heard of quite a few reactions though, which is enough for me to never use it.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 11:23am PST 
I've used Vectra 3D on Mulder for months, and I've never had an issue.

While I can't speak personally for the people who have had problems with it from your vet, the only people who have had issues with it here were ones who applied it incorrectly.

Vectra is NOT Frontline... you can't just squeeze it all out between the shoulder blades. It has specific application instructions, which a lot of people neglect to read shrug
[notify]

Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 11:47am PST 
What I liked about vectra when my vet first told me he switched to it, was that it works to kill ticks in 4 to 8 hours, instead of the typical 12 hours with other products, and that my vet said ticks were becoming immune to other products. That was before I knew anything about chemicals in these products though, but I'm not just picking on vectra, I feel weary about all the chemicals in pesticides.

Anyway though Jessie got a chemical burn and I applied it like the vet said, a little bit down her neck to the middle back. I don't know if those owners the receptionist spoke of followed those directions or not though, but if a product is that harmful when applied concentrated, just spreading it out a little doesn't seem like it can stop all the harm.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 12:00pm PST 
The issue with Frontline not working depends heavily where you are in the country. If you are down South, like me, it is VERY obvious. Flea and tick infestations were running rampant, as they had evolved immunities to the more 'mild' preventatives.

And as for the concentration issue, think of it like this: if you go to your doctor, and he writes you a prescription that requires you to take 1 pill every 2 hours... and you down them all in one sitting, surely you can imagine that there will be problems.

If your dog had a bad reaction with it being properly applied... then that really sucks frown
Some dogs are just more sensitive than others. Depending on where you are, the risks may outweigh the benefits... but here in Alabama, where your dog can be clean going out for a walk, and can come home covered in diseased ticks, it really is worth the possible side effects.

Plus it covers more tick species than most other preventatives, AND mosquitoes... which are killer here as well.
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 12:06pm PST 
Hmm then you wouldn't have to use a heartworm preventative with vectrathinking I had to pull out my box and see because my vet didn't say anything about that. It does say "repels and kills fleas, ticks, mosquitoes" Wow well that's a plus too if you wouldn't need a heartworm pill, one less chemical then I guess.

Yeah I think her skin is sensitive. If she's allergic to something, and ingests it (like yeast) or comes in contact with it her skin will break out in red bumps for a few days.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 1:28pm PST 
In theory you probably wouldn't need the heartworm meds with it, but I still use them just to be on the safe side.
Mainly because there is no definite way to determine the exact day the preventative stops working... and around here, it only takes one day of uncertainty.

I actually had an issue with that this summer. A rash had broken out all over Mulder's stomach and groin, and he was loosing a lot of hair in those areas... at first I thought it might have been a food allergy, but when I took him to the vet, it turned out to be a really nasty FLEA allergy... he ran a flea comb through his hair, and sure enough it was covered in flea dust. I was shocked, as I had given the Vectra treatment at the beginning of the month. But due to the MASSIVE flea population boom down here, the weakened chemicals weren't enough to keep them all away.

He suggested I reapply a little earlier each month until Fall, and sure enough the rash disappeared after I started doing such.
[notify]
Winnie Lam

Squeaker- Killer...Qu'est-- ce que c'est!

Barked: Wed Nov 11, '09 7:44am PST 
One of the active ingredients in Vectra is dinotefuran, which is an insecticide that has long been used to spray vegetables to control bug infestations.

The EPA puts out material safety and data sheets, including toxicities etc if anyone wants more info: http://www.epa.gov/opprd001/factsheets/dunotefuran.pdf. It's interesting that one of the toxicities listed is "skin irritation."

Also, each dose also contains permethrin/pyrethrin, which is another pesticide that is EXTREMELY TOXIC TO CATS, so if you have any cats at home, and dog has contact with cats, don't use the product (may be lethal to cats in very small doses)!dog
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Wed Nov 11, '09 2:12pm PST 
shock I can't believe my vet didn't say anything to me about vectra and cats. He knows I have an indoor cat. Not that I use any product on her but she's around the dogs and sleeps in the same places as them. Thanks for the warning Winnie.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Nov 11, '09 3:36pm PST 
I also have indoor cats, and I've never had a problem.

As long as you don't directly apply the product to your cat, or your cat doesn't have INTIMATE (IE, licking/grooming) contact with your dog, whatever trace amounts are left behind after your dog lays down somewhere aren't going to harm your cats.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3