GO!

Post Luxating Patella surgery after care..

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Mon Oct 26, '09 9:24am PST 
Lilith had 2 LPs repaired and a follow up surgery today (imbrication failed on lateral side of one leg).

Anyway, we spoke to her vet who is a wonderful man with specialization in orthopedics. He said it is his belief that recovering dogs are not to be completely on cage-rest for the entire recovery period (approximately 6-8 weeks). Of course, he still says no stairs, no running, no jumping. But he did say that leashed walks to the end of the block and back was good for recovery, to get the joints moving and muscles maintained.

But elsewhere, I have read people keeping their dogs strictly cage rest for 6 weeks..

Has anyone else had LP surgeries, and what did you do during recovery? 6 weeks of absolutely not being able to walk around at all seems really excessive to me. I know an elderly woman who had two knee replacements at the same time (replacements being more invasive than LP surgery, I believe) and she told me that the doctors had her up and walking a little with assistance the next day, too.

For us, we have let Lilith walk around the house. We crate Luna so she can't excite and chase Lilith around and let Lilith slowly walk around. We carry her outside and down the stairs to do her potty breaks. The vet said the imbrication breaking down is rare but not always due to using the joint too much during recovery. But I want to be more safe than sorry - her one leg that wasn't operated on is absolutely fine and the doctor is very pleased with how her healing is progressing.

Thoughts?
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Mon Oct 26, '09 9:33am PST 
No experience or advice, Lilith, but wishing you a speedy recovery!

wisheswisheswisheswisheswisheswisheswisheswishes
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Mon Oct 26, '09 11:16am PST 
Thanks Tucker.. hug
[notify]

Copernicus

Copee Copes

Barked: Mon Oct 26, '09 2:49pm PST 
Hey L,

She SHOULD be walking, like you said. The first 3 weeks should be very little activity, but certainly not cage rest. Walking around the house and flexing and extending her legs manually every day.

Each week thereafter you should be gradually start walking her again. Adding about 1 block each week until she hits 6 weeks.

Without some activity, not only will her muscles atrophy, but she will not get a chance to move her legs and her joints will be stiff and tight.

You should be having follow up appointments all throughout her recovery period until she gets to about 6-8weeks post op. He'll be able to let you know if she needs more activity or if you need to slow it down.

Good luck towards a speedy recovery!
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Mon Oct 26, '09 4:04pm PST 
Lillith, if walking makes you uncomfortable, what about somewhere with water therapy? I'm not sure if thats recommended, but I know for people it is because it still keeps things limber, strengthens muscles, but is low impact.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Mon Oct 26, '09 4:08pm PST 
Thanks Copee... She is going to the vet at least once a week until 6 weeks for her post op check, just like the first time around (which is why they found out the imbrication failed). I'm glad to know that there should be -some- activity.

Bam-Bam, I asked the vet about water therapy and they said that it was possible after her staples came out. Before that, not a good idea.. thinking Her staples on her new side will be there for 2 more weeks if all goes well. So we wouldn't be able to start her on water therapy until then, at the earliest. Thanks for the suggestion, though, I'll remember to ask the vet about it again later!
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Mon Oct 26, '09 4:17pm PST 
Lilith! Have a fast recovery! I was going to ask you eailer how your surgeries were going! I guess you were in them!

and I don't know personally, but I would assume try walking a bit, because otherwise your tendons and muscles will shrink and it will hurt and be hard to walk when you are able too =[

GET BETTER SOON!
[notify]